Skip to main content

Round 2!

     So much for keeping up with things.  March was a busy month.  So to rehash projects.  I did a mug cozy for Jonas Quinn.  I've been wanting to tackle a cozy and they are really great ways to practice various cables.  I did my first braided cable with this one.
This little baby hangs out at work, reminding my co-workers of what a dork I am.  My second project was a "set" of balls for Jack to juggle with.  In real life two of the three are cat toys.  As in I stuffed them with catnip.


These were made from left overs of the very first Red Heart Super Saver my brother got me when I took up knitting again.  I'm not sure how I learned on this stuff and found a passion for it.  This pattern however is great.  I learned several new skills including provisional cast on.  I did mine with a crochet hook.  I decided to get a little creative and pay homage to one of my most favorite actors for my third project.  John Billingsley played Dr. Phlox on ST: ENT.  He also had a guest role as Simon Coombs in one of the best SG1 episodes ever, "The Other Guys".  So I used Actor Allusion for the trope challenge and made Coombs some "Red Shirt" Jaffa chain mail so he would know exactly where he stands on the expandability scale.
The pattern is Baby Sophisticate.  It would have looked a bit more like Jaffa chain mail if I had left off the collar, but its so stinkin' cute.  I really hate the color red, so this one doesn't appeal to me all that much.  I'm sure however some one will love it (hopefully).  My fourth project was my favorite for this round.  I used the Mochi Plus I've been saving for a while.  I made this for the Differences Matter challenge.  I used Team 1-Up for my inspiration and chose my husbands favorite franchise, Mass Effect.  (Well, I should say his favorite until ME3, the ending completely negated the other two games, we blame EA).  My unifying matter was sand which is solid and can be found on Mars, Earth and Abydos.

The lace motif was actually quite simple.  I think the yarn was a bit too busy for a lace pattern, but its such great yarn for these kinds of things.  I love Mochi.  I have a cowl and a scarf out of it and I can attest, there is nothing better when its going to be warn against the skin.  Now for my last project (yes that's only five so no cube meltage this round) I made a dishcloth "that reminded me of the 70's" for the Klimt challenge. 
A Ball Band in Fiesta and Sunburst, the two most awesome Elmore-Pisgah colors ever!!  Klimt used a lot of bright colors in many of his paintings.  Usually he balanced those brights with some more subdued tones as well.  I skipped right over the subdued tones and went vibrant all the way.  I figure if you have to clean, it might as well be fun and perhaps a little crazy. 
     Round 3 has started and I'm almost done with the first part of my first project.  It's going to be job related and I'll be long winded for that one.
     In personal news, my father celebrated his birthday on Friday March 30th.  I got back home to see him and the rest of my family over the weekend.  The hubs had to work so I ventured alone.  Well not totally alone.  I took my female and eldest Pookie with me.  It was a girls weekend if you will and we had fun.  Pookie is a calico and much happier in a single cat situation.  So I make an attempt to treat her to a single cat situation when I can.  I did some grilling on Saturday, really my first.  It actually turned out really good.  I did hash marks on the steak and everything.  Thank you Food Network!  I had fun but I wish weekends were more than two days.  I had things I wanted to do here too, but I ran out of time.  Now my focus is one R3 and figuring out what to do for the challenges.  I have some knitting I want to do for myself as well.  So far I'm having some trouble jamming it into the challenges.  I guess I need to think outside the box a bit farther.  TTFN
-Q  

FYI:  The cowl and the baby sweater are for sale.  If interested I can provide more details (as in price)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 12

     I had a fairly busy crafting week.  Procrastination at its finest.  I realized over the weekend I needed to get cracking if I wanted to finish up some gifts for my coworkers.  A bit ago I made a  Cable Me a Pumpkin Hat  for Cara's unborn son. I wanted to make a hat for Bobby's daughter who's about a month old now.  I have a bin of baby acrylic from my early knitting days.  Most of it isn't even entered into my Ravelry stash.  When I was digging through it I found some Bernat Baby Blanket yarn I forgot I even had.  I made a  Poppy  hat for Bobby's daughter. Then I started on two blankets.  I didn't use patterns, just winged it.  I made a corner to corner in boys colors. I had a bit more girly colors so I did a larger one with the girly yarn.  (I was also trying to use up as much yarn as I could.) I did a very simple eyelet border around the edges.  I didn't finish the girly blanket til after I went back to