Skip to main content

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day Four

Crafting for the Seasons

     I don't know if I've been knitting long enough to track my trends.  So far I seem to start winter projects in the winter, but not actually finish them til spring.  I do make dishcloths year round and the majority of them right before Christmas, as that's when the demand is.  This year, I have planned some projects actually taking the season into account.  I have the yarn to make Amiga.  (See link at bottom of page)  Amiga is a warm weather sweater. 



     I've picked up Berroco Pure Pima which is a DK weight pima cotton.  The pattern calls for US 8s, so the fabric will be light and airy.  I'm especially looking forward to this project, for a couple reasons.  One, I want something light I can keep with me at work.  The lab tends to be warm in the summer, especially around the larger analyzers (the Vistas).  So I usually wear light T-shirts.  Once I go on break though I get chilly, so I want to have a light weight something to wrap up in.  I would do a shawl, but break time is eating time and I'm afraid I'd run it through my food all the time.  Lets face it, my dinner ends up in my lap more than in my mouth so something fitted is kind of a must.  With all that being said, I still do alot of cold weather knitting all summer.  I live in central New York, so summer is a relative term.  Its really just different levels of winter.  This year has been beyond strange.  We really didn't have winter so when "spring" arrived in February I actually got really depressed.  I love snow for two reasons.  I knit and we snowmobile.  This spring has been goofy too.  The weather has been going from 80-90s one week to mid 30s-40s the next.  No exaggeration.  It hit 90 last week.  When I came home this evening it was 37.  I actually regretted not having my cowl in my work bag.  I guess the short answer is I knit what I want when I want without regard to the current weather situation.  At this point I have room to store my items so its not a big deal for me to make a wool scarf in August and stash it somewhere for November (around here its been known to snow in October)
Happy crafting!
-Q

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amiga-2     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 12

     I had a fairly busy crafting week.  Procrastination at its finest.  I realized over the weekend I needed to get cracking if I wanted to finish up some gifts for my coworkers.  A bit ago I made a  Cable Me a Pumpkin Hat  for Cara's unborn son. I wanted to make a hat for Bobby's daughter who's about a month old now.  I have a bin of baby acrylic from my early knitting days.  Most of it isn't even entered into my Ravelry stash.  When I was digging through it I found some Bernat Baby Blanket yarn I forgot I even had.  I made a  Poppy  hat for Bobby's daughter. Then I started on two blankets.  I didn't use patterns, just winged it.  I made a corner to corner in boys colors. I had a bit more girly colors so I did a larger one with the girly yarn.  (I was also trying to use up as much yarn as I could.) I did a very simple eyelet border around the edges.  I didn't finish the girly blanket til after I went back to