Skip to main content

The Betrothed

4.5⭐️3🌶
I finished the ARC of The Betrothed by Vira Wade.  This one comes out 4/30/26.  It was a good solid story and I enjoyed it.  Aeryn is a half-human half-elf princess of the Unified Crown.  Her marriage to the Orc chieftain of Clan Druin seals the peace treaty.  She is forced into this situation by her father, however Khaeric has volunteered.  He believes in the treaty and wants a better way forward for his people.  The Orcs are Highlanders and speak with very obvious Scottish Highlander accents.  This gave me series Outlander vibes and I absolutely loved it.  The humans and elven have been propagating terrible misconceptions of the Orc people.  Aeryn expects primitive monsters but finds Khaeric and his people kind, patient and talented craftspeople.  She slowly begins to acclimate to her new surroundings and her new husband.  There is an undertone to this one as well.  Humans are prudes and overly concerned with purity and modesty, with the church dictating life in the human realm.  The mountain stronghold is warm and the orcs wear much more revealing garments and aren't concerned with nakedness.  Aeryn is horrified at first by everything.  It takes her a lot to adjust.  The Elven people are very Tolkien inspired and I found them to be uptight conceited dickbags.  They are entrenched in tradition and propriety.  Aeryn is judged about the situation she finds herself in which she had no choice really.  Her own aunt is the queen of the elves and treats her unfairly in my opinion.  All the dynamics of the cultures was interesting if frustrating sometimes.  I found the time in the elven kingdom to be a tad dry, it might have been a pacing issue or it may have been me.  The spice in this one takes off at about 30%.  There's a good amount of it and its well written.  I'm really glad I've watched outlander and knew how to pronounce a lot of the words in this one.  In my brain movie Sam Heughan voiced Khaeric.  Actually Khaeric reminds me a lot of Jaime Fraser.  He's patient and gentle but firecly protective of Aeryn.  The found family in this one is great.  Aeryn makes some very important friendships when she gets to the mountain.  Overall it was an enjoyable book.  It's the beginning of a series and there was quite alot that was left hanging in the air.  I look forward to reading the next one when it comes out.

Comments

  1. “ The Elven people are very Tolkien inspired and I found them to be uptight conceited dickbags.” 😂

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...