Skip to main content

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished.

I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.

                      

I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.

    I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use this recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a spice blend.  I use old bay for ours.  I've seen that King Arthur Flour also makes some pizza seasoning blends and I plan on getting those to try out too.  The recipe blog mentions they use King Arthur Flour for bread recipes.  I second this sentiment.  I've used King Arthur exclusively for a number of years now at the recommendation of a former co-worker/ baker who swore by it.  It really makes baked goods and bread that much better.  I picked up Wellsley Farms pizza sauce the last time I was at BJs.  I usually use Ragu, Prego or even Great Value.  The Wellsley Farms is liquidier and has a chunkier texture than the other sauces I've used.  But, I was pleasantly surprised at the flavor.  It was almost smoky and had a nice tangy bite.  My husband, who is the pickiest eater in our house, also liked it.  I had also picked up some Belgioioso Fresh mozzarella to try.  It ran off the pizza, but was really tasty and my husband liked that as well.  

The one of the left is the fresh mozzarella, on the right is regular shredded part skim, low moisture mozzarella.  There's also Canadian bacon under the cheese on both.  We like to have the toppings under the cheese on homemade pizzas.  If they're on top of the cheese they tend to burn and when I put too much cheese on, which is always, the toppings tend to slide off.  I put my dough on parchment paper so it will slide off the pizza peel onto the stone.  The parchment paper burns because of the heat, but I haven't ever had it light on fire.  The parchment paper also protects the stone from getting all nasty.  They can absorb oil and other substances from the food and start to smell gross, from what I read before getting one.  Using parchment was one of the suggestions for keeping it in good working order.

I just have three more shifts left in this contract, then I'll be back in Syracuse, for the foreseeable anyway.  I'm looking forward to being on evening shift again, which is my favorite shift to work.  I got my swap assignment for the Halloween swap and I've formulated a game plan for the handmade item.  I need to order some yarn, because of course, nothing in my extensive stash is quite right for what I've chosen to knit.  Ah, the life of a crafter, eh.  

Until later.  Happy crafting!
-Q 
 

 



Comments

  1. Those gloves look really cosy, I love the colours. Your pizza has made me hungry, I might need to go and explore a pizza lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm first and foremost and enanbler so I say do it! You can't go wrong with pizza for lunch.

      Delete
  2. The mitts turned out very nice. Such pretty fall colors too. Homemade pizza is the best. I love King Arthur! I order from it all the time. Infact, I will be placing another order shortly with them. My sourdough starter caught bacteria and had to be disposed of. I bought their starter 4 years ago and have had great luck with it so will do it again so I can have sourdough items in my larder again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried sourdough myself yet. I don't think I'm home enough to tend to it.

      Delete
  3. The mitts are beautiful. I second the use of parchment paper. I discovered it a few years ago and now I buy it at Costco so I never run out LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought another three pack from BJs yesterday, lol.

      Delete
  4. The mitts are indeed beautiful. Good news to hear that blocking evened out the sizes. We also make homemade pizza every Friday. Second that King Arthur is the best baking flour. We have also been enjoying homemade tomato sauce from our garden tomatoes. Definitely love margarita pizza with fresh mozzarella and basil from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fall vibes your fingerless mitts are giving off! I'm glad they blocked into shape easily for you!
    Your pizza looks spectacular! My spouse makes pizza from scratch, and its hands down one of my favorite meals. Additionally: we use parchment on our pizza stone too, and ours hasn't caught fire yet in over 10 years of making it. The cheese dripping onto the bottom of the oven while making too large, too cheesy pizzas cannot say the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home-made pizza can certainly be messy, but its worth it.

      Delete
  6. I love your mitts! Gorgeous fall colors. I use parchment paper all the time. Those pizzas look delicious! I too love King Arthur and have for years. You can really trust their recipes too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 33

     I started a pair of socks for myself.  I'm not good about checking gauge for anything.  So very quickly I realized the sock was looking very small.  I decided to keep going and make them for Liara instead.  I had her try it on after I turned the heel and it fit her perfectly.