Skip to main content

YOP: Week 32 Check-In

     I'm going to a quick check in.  I finished up my two classes on August 1st.  I got As in both Philosophy and American Government.  There was some sort of snaffoo with the Government class, there were only three of us enrolled in that class so the college cancelled it before it began but didn't remove it from the online platform.  The professor didn't know either, so with about a week to go he contacted us to see if we still wanted to finish out the class and get credit for it.  I only had two more assignments to go, and I already knew I was headed for an A, so of course I said yes, I wanted credit for the class.  The paperwork for it is still in the works.  I have just a few weeks here in August free and then I have another class starting on the 19th of August for the Fall semester.  It will be interesting to see how different the classes are during a "normal" semester instead of these accelerated summer classes.  

    We've had soooo much rain this summer, it's been very abnormal.  The kids went out and caught frogs while my husband mowed the lawn a few days ago.  Of course they had to bring them to me to take pictures.

Liara with three frogs

Ronon found a snail shell

  
 My husband had an appointment in Syracuse on Friday, so I drove through the storm front from tropical storm Debby.  Then we did a little grocery shopping at BJs once the appointment was done.  I got a few weather alerts for home while we were in Syracuse.  The weather was nice driving back and we got to see the flooding in our area on the way back.  It wasn't as bad in most places as Beryl had been.  We, however, wound up with some flooding in our yard this time.  


This was all gone by morning when I left for work yesterday.  Our basement stayed nice and dry though, thanks to all the work my husband has done with the two sump pumps down there.

    I turned 40 on August 2, with no fanfare.  I made my own cake.  I used a boxed white cake mix from Aldi (the Baker's Corner Classic White) and then made homemade vanilla frosting that I then dyed purple.  I used this recipe for the frosting.  The cake was excellent.  I was very impressed with that box mix.  I found the frosting to be a tad on the sweet side for my taste.  I shared the cake with my parents.  My Mom thought the frosting was perfect and not too sweet.  When I make this frosting again, and I will, it was simple and tasty, I am going to cut the sugar back just a tad.  It calls for 3 cups of powdered sugar, I'll probably cut it back by 1/2 cup.

    Finally, the actual purpose of this blog.  I started a new project (that isn't a dishcloth).  I'm going to use it as my Nerdopolis Summit Seeker project for the next few months as I don't expect to have much knitting time.  I started Always Be Brave which is a free Knitty pattern; using Shirsty Cat BFL Dk in the Electric Nights and Highlight colorways.  This is yarn I picked up at the 2023 CNY Fiber Fest.  
This is a really terrible low-light picture I took while I was getting ready for work this morning in the dark.  The Electric Nights colorway is very pretty.  It's a blue-green base with speckles of cobalt blue, lavender and olivey greens.  I'm enjoying this knit already.  

I think that's it.  Until later.  Happy crafting.

-Q

I forgot one more picture.  When I retrieved my swift, winder and project bag from the infamous craft closet, I had a little too much help:


Jangles claimed a spot for a nap.  This is the only space in the entire house where we keep a door closed to the cats.  As soon as I open it, they all come running to check on what's inside.  (I need to tidy up in here again.)



Comments

  1. Congratulations on your excellent grades. Best wishes as you head into a "regular" semester. We have friends with a

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arg - somehow I hit enter - anyway, we have friends with a lake house in upstate New York. They lost their retaining wall with Debby rain.

      Delete
  2. Great work on your class and belated happy birthday. Love the shawl colors. Glad you only had a little flooding from the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cat that does the same with my sewing room. Anytime the door is opened she rushes in to plop herself in the middle of the floor and takes a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats great your tutor was willing to finish the course for you, that seems pretty poor communication by the college though. Hopefully smooth sailing going forward. Belated birthday wishes. Liz (highland Heffalump)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day One

Day One (Monday 11th May): If You Were Yarn. If you were a type or brand of yarn, which would you be? Are you a classic pure wool? Is there extra tension but a bit of bounce in you because of your high twist? Would you be more like a high-maintenance, strictly hand-wash fluffy angora or a ‘bring it on’ acrylic, bravely heading into the world of possible baby-sick laundering disasters knowing that you will always come out bright and unharmed?      If I had been asked this question back in January of 2014 I think my answer would be very different from the one I'm about to give today.  Since that time I have started my second new job and have moved my entire household to a smaller city.  Granted the move was what I wanted, but there has been a transition period for me after leaving everything I'd known and become accustomed to behind after 12 years.  I've made new friends twice, gotten used to different policies and procedures twice.  This second transition has been a bit

Year of Projects: Week 45

    No post last week as we were all down with a nasty stomach bug.  I finally started feeling better on Friday.  I didn't get very much done because of it.  I didn't even get out of bed last Sunday.  I was able to finish the  Sunset Hat .   I think it turned out nicely.  I was worried the Glitter and the Sunset colorways would be too similar, which is why I put the English Rose in between them, but I think the combo works pretty well.  I finished up one more dish cloth; another Star Fish type so I won't post another identical picture.  I've made one more dishcloth since the Nerdopolis tournament ended on the 30th.  We're in a break month now.  I had hoped to get a few rows done on my Holden shawl, but that didn't happen.  I'm going to try to get it done this month.     There is a fiber festival in June, the CNY Fiber Fest, so I'm starting to plan for that.  I went last year and it was very fun.  I've perused the vendor list already.  Many of the one

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a