Skip to main content

End of Round 2, More Dishcloths and oh yea, Melted the Cube Again!!!

     Okay so cube meltage may not need three exclamation points but I didn't think I was going to make this one.  I feel bad actually since Giving Geeks was the one that got me all six.  Giving Geeks for round two was a "pick me up" for someone I was supposed to know personally.  It so happened that a friend of mine failed a pretty important exam that really impacts both him and the rest of us.  I had made "celebratory" cake in the hopeful assumption that he had passed.  The cake turned out to be condolences cake and I took full advantage of his misfortune.... sorry, I'm a horrible person... 10 points for me, score?  I made Hawaiian Pineapple Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.  The original recipe can be found in the first Lowville Mennonite Cook Book (the blue one).  I tweak the frosting slightly, its my secret and I'm never telling, but I will reprint the original if anyone wants it.  Here's a terrible picture of how it turned out.  (I forgot to take a good one)
     I finished the knitting on my latest oven mitt.  I originally submitted it for partial credit since I hadn't gotten it felted yet.  I ended up getting full credit, since the knitting is all that really counts anyway.  That was a nice surprise.  I still haven't gotten the chance to felt it.  Mom was using her washing machine when we popped up over the weekend.  I may attempt to wet felt in the dryer so I can actually get it done and on to the recipient. 
Here she is all ready to go.  This one was for the Dirty Laundry challenge.  We needed to make something for or about a little known fun fact about a character.  Cameron Mitchell bakes and actually made cookies for Sam once, so the oven mitt is for him. 

     The last project was also my Team Unity Project.  This round we were to craft something for one of our baddies, since without the bad guys our good guys would have nothing to do. 
I made this rose for Adria, since she longs for Vala's affection and approval and this is something Vala would like.  I used it for the Cover Me challenge.  I used the cover of my favorite book of all time:  Spindle's End by Robin McKinley.
The rose is to mimic the flowers on the cover, I tied the cover into Stargate with the medieval castle.  In one of the episodes SG1 goes to a medieval Christian village on a planet where much superstitious mumbo jumbo takes place and SG1 eventually kills an Unas working for Sokar and frees the village.  Its not one of my favorite episodes, because of the overpowering religious overtones, but anyway still a good one. 

     I've been plugging away at my orders.  I have three done and a fourth cloth started on an order of six dishcloths.  I am nearly finished with another Pinwheel Petals Cloth.  We popped home over the weekend to deliver an order to my aunt.  They were a birthday gift from her daughter (my cousin).  I took up my stash of finished dishcloths and Aunt Isy picked out the three she liked best.  It worked out pretty good actually.  I made one specifically for her and that was one of the ones she picked, so I guess I can read people pretty well after all.  Well, its now my birthday!  I have fruit pizza to make.  Yes, I make my own birthday cake.  I'm "the baker" so it falls to me.  Lets face it, I'm fussy so I might as well make exactly what I want the way I like it, right?  Happy Crafting!
-Q 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 6

I dont have too much to report on the completion front.  I'm working overnights for this contract and I just have no energy.  I tend to stay on my night schedule on my days off and sleep all the rest of the time.  I have been working on some dishcloths.  I pretty much always have a couple going.  I really should have put that on my list of projects for this year.  I've been looking back through past project pages and I'm knitting a few patterns again that I liked knitting the first time.  In the case of the ones I've just done, I've knit these many many times.  The pattern is  Tricolour Dishcloth .  It's in my top 5 dishcloth patterns of all time.  I have the pattern memorized and I enjoy it very much.  It takes three colors and doesnt use much yarn.  It's great for using up small scraps. Its also got a ton of texture, so its very scrubby.  I need to weave in the ends yet but here are the three I did in the last two weeks.

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a