Skip to main content

Nerd Wars and Vacation

     Tournament 4 has begun.  I just posted my second project and am nearly finished with a third.  I really want to try for all six.  So for the Scientific challenge, I made Jared Flood's Turn a Square.  It is a tad long for me, but I've been wanting a beanie that would cover my ears better.  I also have enough yarn left over for a second one.  Its a really great pattern, I will be doing more.

     The project I just posted was for the Intellectual challenge.  I made a set of dishcloths suitable to aid in Jack and Maybourne's survival on the Utopian moon.  Paradise Lost in season 6 is one of my more favorite episodes.  Once I found the survival mnemonic S-T-O-P, I had the challenge in the bag. 

     I actually knit these in the dark, and from memory.  I've knit so many of them at this point its muscle memory.  I'll get back to why I was knitting in the dark.


     I've made good progress on those cursed mittens, or I would have if I haddnt run out of yarn.  I just got more yarn to finish the tumb, but havent gotten around to actually finishing them.  Nerd Wars is keeping my busy.  (There is a reason I call them cursed)


     So, we were supposed to be on vacation this past week.  Alas, this has been the winter from hell.  That is, there has been essentially NO SNOW.  Most people would be happy about this.  We, the owners of a $14,000 snowmobile with 200ish acres of open land and avid outdoorsmen, who take off a week every February, however, are not.  We havent even touched the thing this year, not even kidding.  I think the hubbs started it and let it run for three minutes in the process of realizing that the dusting of snow that wasnt even covering the grass wasnt going to cut it.  Its been frustrating to say the least.  Also, back with the first snow fall, in December, we put snow tires on the Bonneville.  We wouldnt have needed to.  There was only one storm since that one, that I would have had a problem with.  Soooo, we spent the weekend at our snowmobiling spot, cheered as the Giants won the superbowl and then promptly came back to the city on Monday.  Our staycation was actually kind of nice.  We went shopping on Tuesday.  He to Gamestop and myself to Sheep Thrills! Yarn Company.  I got the Elsebeth Lavold Baby Llama to finish that mitten and two skeins of Classic Elite Yarns Liberty Wool.  The Liberty Wool will be used for my first pair of SOCKS!  I'm hoping I can fit them into a NW challenge so I can get points too.  I'm just really excited to do socks.  I need the US5's that are currently in that mitten, so that'll be first on the list of things to do.  I need to take pics yet of the Liberty Wool, for my stash.  Its a rather obnoxicious shade of pink in my opinion.  They're to be boot socks and plain, as in no patterning, so obnoxicious fits the bill in this case. 
     As for knitting in the dark.  The hubbs likes it completly dark when he's using the TV in anyway.  Especially when he's gaming.  The first few days I wanted to spend time with him in the living room.  Mostly I just hate knitting in the bedroom since its not as comfortable.  I gave up on Wednesday, mostly out of guilt since I haddnt gotten much knitting done.  I can only really do garter stitch in the dark.  Two dishcloths were my limit.  Alright I've bored ya'll enough for this blog.  Tootles.
-Q     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 33

     I started a pair of socks for myself.  I'm not good about checking gauge for anything.  So very quickly I realized the sock was looking very small.  I decided to keep going and make them for Liara instead.  I had her try it on after I turned the heel and it fit her perfectly.