5⭐️2🌶
I finished the ARC of Taken by the Tide by Invi Wright yesterday evening. I loved it! It was a quick read at just over 300 pages. The FMC, Sadie is snarky and sarcastic and I love that her mind is firmly in the gutter. The opening line of the book is dialog between Sadie and Kyros. Its her asking him “Do you think mermen have dicks?" If you read the blurb for the book, you know that Kyros is a merman so it makes that question even more funny in my opinion. Kyros is very quiet and grumpy while in human form on the crabbing vessel that Sadie, Sadie's father and the one other deck hand Tipper, utilize. After Kyros throws Sadie overboard, in an attempt to kill her during a storm, she doesn't drown. Instead she starts breathing underwater water. This means she's a hybrid and potentially very valuable to Kyros and his people. He whisks her away to his pod and the story really commences from here. Kyros eventually starts opening up a little bit more and he's ultimately a very hot and sweet MMC.
I think this story was developed well. There are alot of underwater logistics that get explained and unique anatomy. I won't spoil it, but its one of the things that intrigued me when the author pitched this story on Instagram a couple months ago. This is a standalone and it had a gratifying story arc, good character development and a satisfactory conclusion. I've had several of this author's books on my radar for some time now, but this is the first of hers I've been able to read. I'm completely hooked. I loved the humor in this book and Wright's use of off-color metaphors. It was just a hilariously wild ride and I enjoyed it immensely!!! Check it out when it releases August 25th.
Comments
Post a Comment