Skip to main content

February Reading Wrap-Up

 

    February was a good reading month for me.  I enjoyed the majority of what I read.  Only one book wasn't a 5 star for me.  The last two "books" listed in the graphic above were prequel novellas.  Veil of Web and Ruin was 99 pages, Gold Glows the Spark was only 25 pages so it was more of a bonus chapter or teaser for the book.  Both were good introductions to their respective worlds.  Veil actually had some substance and set the stage for what it had been like for Rose in the slums.  It also pulled more insight into why Rose is so protective of her sister.  I wish I would have read both of these before the books they pertain to. 


     I ended up reading Bright Burns the Flame and listening to Web of Vows and Vengeance concurrently.  WoVaV was my first audio book and it was absolutely fire.  I'm looking into apps so I can listen to more.  I had a knitting project commissioned so I was able to read and knit at the same time and it worked very well for me.  I feel like this is the only way I'll be able to balance knitting and reading going forward.  


    I read about 100 pages less than January but my average star rating was higher this month.  Have I mentioned I love StoryGraphs' stats and graphics?  (I know I have.)  I think that's about it for this wrap up.  I have individual reviews of each book posted in case anyone missed those.  

    I'm currently reading A Flickering Remnant by LJ Generous.  It's another ARC and its kind of hard to describe.  Its fantasy with witches, live and undead ones, a curse and some really deep emotional elements.  Its got some Beauty and the Beast vibes and some Hades and Persephone vibes as well.  I'm fully invested in this one, its already made me emotional in a few places.  The FMC, Eleni, has lost a bunch of her memories.  She woke up after nearly dying giving birth to her daughter with a huge chunk of time missing from her memory.  Over the first 10 months of her daughters life she attempts to put pieces of the puzzle back together.  The father of the child is not in the picture, she has only her oldest and best friend as support.  After dreaming about a certain place Eleni, her daughter Mae and her best friend Alora travel to the place Eleni dreamt about.  This is where everything goes awry.  Mae is taken by a witch who says her name is Glennis.  Glennis also claims to be Eleni's mother, except Eleni remembers both her parents dying in a car accident.  Another very powerful witch emerges from the pond that Eleni was there to see.  Glennis tells Eleni this other witch has come to claim her and she must go with her.  Eleni doesn't really get a choice; this witch pulls Eleni to her and they both fall down back through the pond, which is a portal to the underworld; Iswyn where the undead witches are trapped through a curse.  When she gets there a group of people come to her aid and they all know her, but she doesn't know any of them.  The Reaper, who is the MMC, gives her very little information about what is going on and sequesters her in a medical ward.  He commands that she begin training with two of the "Kin" she first met when she came through the portal, which she does.  She also works with the Reaper to begin unraveling her lost memories.  She has to navigate being parted from her daughter and all the emotional turmoil associated with bringing her true memories back.  This book is dealing with post partem depression, and some very heavy inadequacy and loneliness feelings as well.  It's a great look into just how difficult motherhood can be and as I said I'm already enraptured with this one.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...