Skip to main content

Stitches and Witches

     I finished Stitches and Witches by Nancy Warren last evening.  This was book two in the Vampire Knitting Club series.  It was another quick and cozy installment, perfect for spooky season.  Lucy and the crew work to solve a murder mystery.  It was good.  It has a serial feel to it just like the first one and it was fast paced.  I noticed that the author repeated key information and events from the first book.  I personally found this a bit annoying since I had just finished the first book, however I could see this would be handy if there had been a good amount of time between reads.  I do plan to read more of these serials eventually.  But I'm going back to heavier reads and I'll come back to these when I need a palate cleanser.  


 

    I started A Soul to Keep by Opal Reyne last evening.  This one is about a young lady who is given to a Duskwalker, a type of demon essentially as a sacrifice to keep the village safe for another decade.  The Duskwalker, Orpheus, is looking for a companion but Demons and Duskwalkers eat humans, they are attracted to the smell of fear.  Reia is angry and not fearful so Orpheus finds her rather intriguing instead of salivating.  I'm about 100 pages into this one and its been interesting so far.  The world building is unique and I like Reia's nonchalant attitude.  This is the first book in a series of eight.


     

    I learned recently that another author I follow will be releasing book two in her series next month.  I'm excited about this one.  Marlene Tower is a fellow Medical Laboratory Scientist and she writes light horror with a very heavy Medical Laboratory influence.  The first book, The Outbreak, took place in a large hospital in Texas and it was good.  I personally loved it, but I'm sure I'm biased because of my profession.  She did a great job writing characters that resembled people I'd worked with over the years.  Every lab has at least one of each of them.  It was a very relatable book, except for the zombies, of course.  The second book The Inclusion will be available on November 4th.  It follows the same main character from the first book as far as I can tell, but I know nothing beyond that.    


Happy Reading!

-Q            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 34

     I did some crafting this week, but it was all for the swap.  I was nearly out of interfacing so I ran over to The Quilt Shop in Watertown.  I'd been there once a couple of years ago and thought their prices were very good considering they are independent and Joanne and Hobby Lobby were both in Watertown at the time.  They have really expanded and have a tremendous selection.  They have more novelty type fabrics now, which is what I prefer for my bags, so I will be going there much more often.... probably too much.  I got interfacing and I found two prints that were perfect for my swapee.  I really wasn't expecting to find what I did.  I sewed a bag with those two prints and two of the fabrics I picked up from Walmart.  The Walmart fabric was acceptable.  Not groundbreaking, but decent enough that if I find cute prints I'll probably grab them.  I finished the handknit earlier today.  I want to steam block it yet, ...