Skip to main content

Year of Projects: Week 30

    My grandmother passed away on Tuesday.  The calling hours and funeral were yesterday.  I took both the children with me so I wasn't sure if I'd stay for the whole ceremony.  Ronon is only three and we're working on potty training, so I sort of expected we'd need to leave once his attention span ran out.  He did awesome.  He even went potty 3 times while we were there with only a little prompting from me.  This was only the second time we've left the house with him in undies instead of a pull-up.  The other time was a quick trip to the grocery store.  The calling hours, funeral and light meal afterward was a total of 4 plus hours.  It was a nice service.  I got to see some cousins and family friends I haven't seen in years.  Many people commented on how Grandma shared her crafty talents with anyone she met.  I truly aspire to be like her.  Here is a link to her obituary.

    Winter has officially arrived to my corner of the world.  We had a storm over the last weekend then another during the week.  The second storm over Tuesday and Wednesday dropped feet of snow throughout the area.  Many events were canceled and quite a few businesses closed down on Tuesday.  Most people stayed home, so the hospital was nice and quiet all week.  

So between the two storms we've gotten about 4 feet of snow.  Its stayed cold as well, so all that snow is still out there.





    I was able to make a little progress on the sock I'm working on.  I'm getting some pooling with the current yarn.  I like it.
    

I also finished book 5 in The Broken Kingdoms series.  

These books are so good.  I ploughed through this one in a few days.  Several characters from the first trilogy set have appeared to aid this group.  The stories are all entwined and I'm really enjoying these.  The second book in the Ever series comes out in 5 days.  I don't think I'll finish this series and re-read The Ever King before then, but that's okay.  It'll be there waiting for me.

I tried out a new soup recipe earlier in the week.  I had cooked up some chicken and shredded it for a specific recipe.  My husband made dip out of the sour cream intended for the casserole so I had to regroup.  I love to have soup for my work lunches.  I found a taco soup recipe that takes cream cheese, which I had on hand so I made it.  The recipe I used is here.  I used fire roasted tomatoes, left out the green chilis and bell pepper and only used half a can of corn.  (Ronon ate the other half of the corn.)  I was a little afraid it would be spicy.  I'm a wimp and don't like much spice; this was perfect.  It's not an especially attractive soup, but it was tasty.  I added cheese and crushed up Doritos to the top of mine.  I froze the rest of the soup as I'm the only one who likes this.  I'll report back on how well it re-heats.

I attempted to take a few glamour shots of the Hum Beanie with the snow as a backdrop...  I probably should have done it earlier in the day.



I think that's it for me this week.  Everyone stay warm.  Until later.  Happy crafting.

-Q






Comments

  1. So sorry for the loss of your grandmother. How nice that you can remember her as you knit away on your projects. You certainly got a lot of snow. Stay warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your grandmother was actually a year younger than my father. I'm lucky that he is still alive. I hope that knitting brings you fond memories of her. Actually I think the setting sun makes a beautiful backdrop for your photo but agree it doesn't show off the stitches. Typical of places not used to getting much snow , 3 inches of snow shut down Cincinnati's schools. I love the colors of your sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Mine was also my crafty inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deepest condolences for your loss. That’s quite a bit of snow. Ours is nearly gone thanks to 40+ degree weather and rain here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sorry to hear about your grandma passing. I wish my two had been into crafts and shared their knowledge with me, you will always remember her now every time you do something she taught you or would like which is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 33

     I started a pair of socks for myself.  I'm not good about checking gauge for anything.  So very quickly I realized the sock was looking very small.  I decided to keep going and make them for Liara instead.  I had her try it on after I turned the heel and it fit her perfectly.