Skip to main content

Year of Projects: Week 6

I dont have too much to report on the completion front.  I'm working overnights for this contract and I just have no energy.  I tend to stay on my night schedule on my days off and sleep all the rest of the time.  I have been working on some dishcloths.  I pretty much always have a couple going.  I really should have put that on my list of projects for this year.  I've been looking back through past project pages and I'm knitting a few patterns again that I liked knitting the first time.  In the case of the ones I've just done, I've knit these many many times.  The pattern is  Tricolour Dishcloth.  It's in my top 5 dishcloth patterns of all time.  I have the pattern memorized and I enjoy it very much.  It takes three colors and doesnt use much yarn.  It's great for using up small scraps. Its also got a ton of texture, so its very scrubby.  I need to weave in the ends yet but here are the three I did in the last two weeks.
I want to do another Halloween one but with yellow instead of black so it'll be more like candy corn colors.  (I hate eating candy corn but I like the look of it for decorations.)  I not the type that decorates much.  I will, however, decorate for Halloween.  We have a couple blow up decorations we'll put out front and we just scored some orange lights from a garage sale.  I've seen directions to make a grim reaper with PVC, burlap, wire mesh and cement.  My husband just pulled a bunch of PVC out of the basement to redo the second sump pump drainage route.  (Its a long story.)  If I get up enough energy one of these days I may try to build one.  We have a small wooded area on one side of our property.  We want to put some more spooky type decorations over there.  The grim reaper, some skelleton burying bodies, maybe put one of those faces on the biggest tree.  It's early to be thinking of fall and Halloween, but its my favorite time of year.
The only other exciting thing I've done this week was on Sunday we had some extended family over for lunch.  It was a chunk of my mom's side of the family.  Both my parents came from large families, so I can't have everyone at once in our small house.  I inherited my material grandmother's wedding china back in 2015.  I washed it, packed it up and then moved it 3 times.  Since this lunch was with that side of the family, I thought using grandma's china would be a nice touch.  I knew Gramdma had never used it after the wedding, but I didn't realize some of the family had never even seen it.  So I'm really glad I used it Sunday.  The only down side is that I feel the need to hand wash it, so it was a fair amount of work to get it out, inspect and wash it, then use it, then wash it all over again, then pack it back away.  It wasn't terrible though and I'd like to use it once or twice a year.
I washed it all the night before and then covered it up for the reason in the picture.  Tali likes china as much as I do, but for different reasons.  The set is the Arcadia pattern from Edwin Knowles.  Grandma purchased part of it in 1948 and another part in 1949, so the set is almost 75 years old.  
There's a close-up I yanked from the internets cuz I'm too lazy to dig a piece back out from the tote its packed in and take my own.
I have several sets of china, other glass serving pieces, vintage pyrex and corning ware.  There will likely be more talk and pictures of these things.  Now that we have our own place I hope to have more get togethers and use all these things I've collected over the years.

Until later.  Happy crafting.
-Q

Comments

  1. What a lovely china pattern! Beautiful in its simplicity!
    I'm always looking for new dishcloths, and your favorite might be my new favorite. I'm going to keep this in mind for my next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz here...I love these dish cloths. So cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have my grandmother's china. I didn't get any china when I got married. It's an 8 piece set. I use it for Thanksgiving if we have a smallish group. My memory is her using it for Thanksgiving. I rarely use it since it has to be hand washed. I love decorating for Halloween too. We live deep in the woods. Perfect for decorations but sadly no one sees them but us. Can't see our property from the road. Your dishcloths are so colorful. How fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 33

     I started a pair of socks for myself.  I'm not good about checking gauge for anything.  So very quickly I realized the sock was looking very small.  I decided to keep going and make them for Liara instead.  I had her try it on after I turned the heel and it fit her perfectly.