Welcome

Join me as I share my crafty journey with you. I continue to expand my repertoire of hobbies. I knit, sew, crochet, bead and probably most importantly am a lover of science fiction. Occasionally I even pick up a book. I play Nerd Wars for Team Stargate Command which consumes most of my time.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Review of Round 2 and Update on Abalone... (I need better titles)

     Round two finished last night.  I completed three challenges and started a project for a fourth, but I didn't have enough done for partial credit.  I restarted the Baby Bella's Mittens with Lion Brand Amazing and US6 needles.  This combo proved to be much better. 
I've decided to make a hat from this yarn as well, to match these mittens.  I placed these in the "You Made That With What?" challenge.  I used a coffee stir as a cable needle for the these.  It worked pretty well, but I still prefer real cable needles.  

     I've mentioned the dishcloth I was working on in my last post.  I used the Lacy Star Dishcloth pattern.  I made two from this pattern, the first with a seam and the second with a provisional cast on and garter Kitchener to close.  Both versions are detailed in the pattern.  The Kitchener way makes the seam truly invisible.  I think this may be my favorite pattern ever.  
This is the one with the sewn seam, which us quite noticeable in this picture.

This is the one with the kitchenered seam.  Can you find it?  These wind up nice and small, which I like personally.  I put these into the Pirates vs. Ninja challenge.  My vote was for Pirates, arrrgh.
     The final challenge I submitted was a pattern I've been wanting to do for some time now Lotus Hat.  I used the Vickie Howell Sheep(ish).  The finished project did wind up too fuzzy for my taste, but it did turn out pretty well.  Turns out this yarn needs to be knit at a relatively loose gauge.  I used US7, I probably could have used US8 since the YO didn't really show.  I still have one whole skein and a little left from the first skein so I'll probably be making another.
I love the texture from the lace pattern.  I should have blocked this but since it got cold here I decided to take all my sale items to work.  This one got scooped up in the first day.  I put this hat into the MacGuffin challenge.  I picked out the pattern to support my premise.  I wanted something that resembled the Kino from SGU.  A Kino is a mechanical devise the crew is able to use instead of a MALP since it can take not only video but measure atmospheric levels.  They also used the Kinos to document the expedition. 
Here is a dusty one.  There is more texture on the surface.  I felt the Lotus pattern gave the look of texture and the color really matched well.  I'm quite proud of this one conceptually at least.  As much as I hate the yarn, the hat did turn out very nice.  I may do the pattern a third time with Q approved yarn just to sooth my ego.  This hat was also my Team Unity Project for this round.  We decided to make a project inspired by one of the alternate timeline/reality episodes.  I used the SGU episode Time.  So far that's still my favorite episode, although I still haven't finished watching all of SGU.  So in Time, when the Destiny stops at a planet a small team goes through the gate.  They find a Kino, right there, next to the gate and go right back to the Destiny.  This Kino is full of footage, so they all gather in Eli's "Kino room" and watch the footage.  It is of a larger "away team" who spends several days on the planet.  I don't want to spoil the episode too much for people who have not seen it, but ultimately they discover the wormhole connecting the planet to the Destiny is traveling through a solar flare which is what caused the Kino to be thrust back in time.  The footage on the Kino is integral to the survival of about half the crew so the Kino/footage is the MacGuffin of that episode. 
     I also did a dissertation check in.  I'm pretty sure I'm halfway through Abalone.  I used up two of my four skeins so I better be half way. 

I need to finish the back portion, the part on the needles now.  Then I need to knit the two sides/fronts that can be seen on the stitch holders up to the same point as the back/back neck.  Then I graft the sides to the back to make the shoulders.  Then I'll be in the home stretch.  I get to pick up stitches til my fingers bleed.  I'll pick up for the sleeves then all around for the band.  Others who've made this project have picked up into the 200's for the band.  It should be interesting and I really should get crakin' on this one.  I want to wear it already.  I do also really really like how this yarn is knitting up.  The colors are staying nice and even.  That's it for now.  Off to work.  Happy Crafting!
-Q 

Oh, I nearly forgot.  I have a progress picture of the Twisted Wristers.  This was supposed to me my fourth project but I put it aside in order to get the Lotus Hat done.  Today is the last day of November so I don't think I'll complete them in November :(  I will get these done pronto though since they are intended for my swapee.
I've also discovered that one pair may take only one skein of the Alpaca With a Twist and I did get two skeins sooooo, I may be making a pair for myself too!  Alright, that's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. Lots of projects! SGU final episodes are some of my favorites...

    "TammyG"

    ReplyDelete