Skip to main content

Review of Round 2 and Update on Abalone... (I need better titles)

     Round two finished last night.  I completed three challenges and started a project for a fourth, but I didn't have enough done for partial credit.  I restarted the Baby Bella's Mittens with Lion Brand Amazing and US6 needles.  This combo proved to be much better. 
I've decided to make a hat from this yarn as well, to match these mittens.  I placed these in the "You Made That With What?" challenge.  I used a coffee stir as a cable needle for the these.  It worked pretty well, but I still prefer real cable needles.  

     I've mentioned the dishcloth I was working on in my last post.  I used the Lacy Star Dishcloth pattern.  I made two from this pattern, the first with a seam and the second with a provisional cast on and garter Kitchener to close.  Both versions are detailed in the pattern.  The Kitchener way makes the seam truly invisible.  I think this may be my favorite pattern ever.  
This is the one with the sewn seam, which us quite noticeable in this picture.

This is the one with the kitchenered seam.  Can you find it?  These wind up nice and small, which I like personally.  I put these into the Pirates vs. Ninja challenge.  My vote was for Pirates, arrrgh.
     The final challenge I submitted was a pattern I've been wanting to do for some time now Lotus Hat.  I used the Vickie Howell Sheep(ish).  The finished project did wind up too fuzzy for my taste, but it did turn out pretty well.  Turns out this yarn needs to be knit at a relatively loose gauge.  I used US7, I probably could have used US8 since the YO didn't really show.  I still have one whole skein and a little left from the first skein so I'll probably be making another.
I love the texture from the lace pattern.  I should have blocked this but since it got cold here I decided to take all my sale items to work.  This one got scooped up in the first day.  I put this hat into the MacGuffin challenge.  I picked out the pattern to support my premise.  I wanted something that resembled the Kino from SGU.  A Kino is a mechanical devise the crew is able to use instead of a MALP since it can take not only video but measure atmospheric levels.  They also used the Kinos to document the expedition. 
Here is a dusty one.  There is more texture on the surface.  I felt the Lotus pattern gave the look of texture and the color really matched well.  I'm quite proud of this one conceptually at least.  As much as I hate the yarn, the hat did turn out very nice.  I may do the pattern a third time with Q approved yarn just to sooth my ego.  This hat was also my Team Unity Project for this round.  We decided to make a project inspired by one of the alternate timeline/reality episodes.  I used the SGU episode Time.  So far that's still my favorite episode, although I still haven't finished watching all of SGU.  So in Time, when the Destiny stops at a planet a small team goes through the gate.  They find a Kino, right there, next to the gate and go right back to the Destiny.  This Kino is full of footage, so they all gather in Eli's "Kino room" and watch the footage.  It is of a larger "away team" who spends several days on the planet.  I don't want to spoil the episode too much for people who have not seen it, but ultimately they discover the wormhole connecting the planet to the Destiny is traveling through a solar flare which is what caused the Kino to be thrust back in time.  The footage on the Kino is integral to the survival of about half the crew so the Kino/footage is the MacGuffin of that episode. 
     I also did a dissertation check in.  I'm pretty sure I'm halfway through Abalone.  I used up two of my four skeins so I better be half way. 

I need to finish the back portion, the part on the needles now.  Then I need to knit the two sides/fronts that can be seen on the stitch holders up to the same point as the back/back neck.  Then I graft the sides to the back to make the shoulders.  Then I'll be in the home stretch.  I get to pick up stitches til my fingers bleed.  I'll pick up for the sleeves then all around for the band.  Others who've made this project have picked up into the 200's for the band.  It should be interesting and I really should get crakin' on this one.  I want to wear it already.  I do also really really like how this yarn is knitting up.  The colors are staying nice and even.  That's it for now.  Off to work.  Happy Crafting!
-Q 

Oh, I nearly forgot.  I have a progress picture of the Twisted Wristers.  This was supposed to me my fourth project but I put it aside in order to get the Lotus Hat done.  Today is the last day of November so I don't think I'll complete them in November :(  I will get these done pronto though since they are intended for my swapee.
I've also discovered that one pair may take only one skein of the Alpaca With a Twist and I did get two skeins sooooo, I may be making a pair for myself too!  Alright, that's it for now.

Comments

  1. Lots of projects! SGU final episodes are some of my favorites...

    "TammyG"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 12

     I had a fairly busy crafting week.  Procrastination at its finest.  I realized over the weekend I needed to get cracking if I wanted to finish up some gifts for my coworkers.  A bit ago I made a  Cable Me a Pumpkin Hat  for Cara's unborn son. I wanted to make a hat for Bobby's daughter who's about a month old now.  I have a bin of baby acrylic from my early knitting days.  Most of it isn't even entered into my Ravelry stash.  When I was digging through it I found some Bernat Baby Blanket yarn I forgot I even had.  I made a  Poppy  hat for Bobby's daughter. Then I started on two blankets.  I didn't use patterns, just winged it.  I made a corner to corner in boys colors. I had a bit more girly colors so I did a larger one with the girly yarn.  (I was also trying to use up as much yarn as I could.) I did a very simple eyelet border around the edges.  I didn't finish the girly blanket til after I went back to