Skip to main content

YOP: Week 15

     I finished the knitting on my Killer Queen Cowl before I left for my work trip.  I haven't done anymore with it since I returned.  It needs to be blocked and seamed.


I realized as I was nearing the end of this knit that I would need something to take with me on my trip.  Stitchnerd just published a new cowl pattern and at least three people in the Malabrigo Junkies group have already made it.  It only takes one skein of Rios and I had a nice variegated one already wound so I tossed everything in my bag to take with me.  I started this in my hotel room while I was on my trip.

That Nice Stitch Bandana Cowl

My trip went well.  The drive was just a little less than 5 hours down.  I took the "short" way down which involved a county route that goes around the old Erie canal locks.  I haven't taken that way in a long time, there was construction and then more construction in Utica when I needed to get on Interstate 90.  It was a pain in the butt, so when I returned I stayed on 90 'til I got to Syracuse and then took I-81 back.  It was the "longer" route but took me only 4 and 1/2 hours to complete.  The only slightly hairy portion of my journey was that I neared Albany at about 5:30 pm, so I encountered rush hour traffic around the capital region.  My stay was nice, I ate phenomenally well and I learned all about the new instrument.  But, I was ready to come back home by the end of the week.  I didn't think about it 'til the last day;  I was only about an hour north of New York City.  If I had planned on it, I could have gone into the city and visited Purl Soho.  Or there was a yarn shop right in Tarrytown about 15 minutes down the road from my training site I could have visited.  Ideas for next time, if there is a next time.

    Last summer when I retrieved flowers from my grandmother's estate I wasn't able to plant all of them in the front flower bed.  I left a bunch of bulbs in a big tote covered in soil and we stored it in our garden shed over the winter.  Yesterday we moved a couple things out of the basement and into that garden shed.  I checked on the bulbs while I was out there.  The bulbs were starting to sprout so I made a quick decision to start a new flower bed at the side of the garage.  I ended up digging four holes and planted all the bulbs from the bin.  The ones I planted last year have all come up and the other plants I transplanted last summer have all survived the winter and are starting to come up.  

    That's it for me for the past two weeks.  I need to finish up Killer Queen Cowl.  We have some more cold weather coming this week yet, so I may even have a chance to wear it this season.  Until later, happy crafting.

-Q


Comments

  1. What a shame to miss visiting some yarn shops. Next time. Glad the business trip went well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new cowl and the Killer Queen looks stunning. Glad the work trip went well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 34

     I did some crafting this week, but it was all for the swap.  I was nearly out of interfacing so I ran over to The Quilt Shop in Watertown.  I'd been there once a couple of years ago and thought their prices were very good considering they are independent and Joanne and Hobby Lobby were both in Watertown at the time.  They have really expanded and have a tremendous selection.  They have more novelty type fabrics now, which is what I prefer for my bags, so I will be going there much more often.... probably too much.  I got interfacing and I found two prints that were perfect for my swapee.  I really wasn't expecting to find what I did.  I sewed a bag with those two prints and two of the fabrics I picked up from Walmart.  The Walmart fabric was acceptable.  Not groundbreaking, but decent enough that if I find cute prints I'll probably grab them.  I finished the handknit earlier today.  I want to steam block it yet, ...