Skip to main content

Check-In: YOP Week 28

     I'm going to do a quick check in as I have some time and a couple FOs.  So, first up I finished up the American History class on July 1st.  I got my final grade back over July 4th weekend.  I got an A.  The next two classes started on July 1st; I'm now taking Intro to Philosophy and Intro to American Government (Political Science).  The Poli-Sci class has so far been a self-paced straight forward course.  There is a quizzing software being used after every chapter that's interactive and tells you which topic you're struggling on.  I like it much better than writing a paper after every chapter like the History class required.  Philosophy has been interesting so far.  The setup is sort of hap-hazard.  We're not following a textbook, just selected reading from the professor; after which we have a series of questions to answer or a discussion board to post to.  It's been a lot of thinking and then attempting to articulate those thoughts into words.  For me that's not easy.  Overall, though, these two classes are taking less of my time for now.  The first week was a preview week, so I got as far ahead as I could.  I like to have some breathing room.

    Last weekend and Monday I was able to do some sewing.  I used a tutorial from Pinterest and made a small, quilted tote.  My lining fabric was a little too long so it bunches on the inside.  I like the concept of the bag, but it's too small to be considered a tote in my book.  It'll still be a great project bag.

Batik scraps and some machine embroidery.


I had gone up to my grandmother's on July 3rd to get some more things from her house.  I've laid claim to a few more large things, so I'll need to go up there again soon with helpers.  I ended up with some "panel" fabric.  I immediately thought about tote bags with the larger images.  So, I whipped up a second larger tote bag with one of the panel prints.  It could be better, but I was winging it to make the fabric work as best as possible. 

Back: Slip pocket is pieced from the panel fabric.

Front:  This panel was my overall inspiration.




   
Inside:  It's hard to see, but the pocket is another fabric from my stash that "matched" the farm animal theme.
This tote will be going to the fair with 9 knitted items.  I wound up with quite a lot of panel fabric, so I may be making plenty of totes in the future.  I'll need to get more quilt batting and interfacing, I'm getting low.

    Speaking of the fair.  I'm all registered and I got almost all my items ready to go last evening.  I steamed several items and trimmed ends on all of them.  I seem to leave off that step, for whatever reason.  I do the drop-off tomorrow.  

    We felt some of the effects of Hurrican Beryl here on Wednesday.  We didn't experience any flash flooding, but the surrounding areas did, including my hometown of Lowville.  The storm drains backed up and there was extensive flooding all over town.  Elsewhere bridges and roads were washed out.  There were tons of Facebook posts of the racing water and damage.  The Lewis County Fair is in Lowville, but the damage has been cleaned up and the fair will go-on without a hitch.  

7 News Link Here's a link to the local news station.  That's about it for me.  I've just been plugging along trying to enjoy what free time I can sneak in.


Until later.

-Q

Comments

  1. Totes look very nice, good luck at the fair. Glad to hear the damage was not worse in your location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear how you are getting on. Congratulations on the A, the first of many I’m sure. The totes are super cute and love the idea of mixing up the batik fabrics, so cheery. Good luck with the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooos that was Liz (Highlandheffalump)

      Delete
  3. Both bags look great. The cow bag is soooo fun. Best wishes at the fair. I haven't been to a county fair in 30 years. And that was only to take my two small children to ride the rides. It is definitely not a big deal in our "big city" county. So glad to hear you are doing terrific back in school. History and Poli-Sci prerequisites? I took one Poli-Sci class in college as an elective. The prof hated me because I was majoring in Engineering. Too bad. I still got an A. So glad to read your updates. Wishing you continued success in your studies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I needed a certain amount of "gen ed" credits. I don't really know how Philosophy and Political Science correlate to a medical degree either but here I am.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day One

Day One (Monday 11th May): If You Were Yarn. If you were a type or brand of yarn, which would you be? Are you a classic pure wool? Is there extra tension but a bit of bounce in you because of your high twist? Would you be more like a high-maintenance, strictly hand-wash fluffy angora or a ‘bring it on’ acrylic, bravely heading into the world of possible baby-sick laundering disasters knowing that you will always come out bright and unharmed?      If I had been asked this question back in January of 2014 I think my answer would be very different from the one I'm about to give today.  Since that time I have started my second new job and have moved my entire household to a smaller city.  Granted the move was what I wanted, but there has been a transition period for me after leaving everything I'd known and become accustomed to behind after 12 years.  I've made new friends twice, gotten used to different policies and procedures twice.  This second transition has been a bit

Year of Projects: Week 45

    No post last week as we were all down with a nasty stomach bug.  I finally started feeling better on Friday.  I didn't get very much done because of it.  I didn't even get out of bed last Sunday.  I was able to finish the  Sunset Hat .   I think it turned out nicely.  I was worried the Glitter and the Sunset colorways would be too similar, which is why I put the English Rose in between them, but I think the combo works pretty well.  I finished up one more dish cloth; another Star Fish type so I won't post another identical picture.  I've made one more dishcloth since the Nerdopolis tournament ended on the 30th.  We're in a break month now.  I had hoped to get a few rows done on my Holden shawl, but that didn't happen.  I'm going to try to get it done this month.     There is a fiber festival in June, the CNY Fiber Fest, so I'm starting to plan for that.  I went last year and it was very fun.  I've perused the vendor list already.  Many of the one

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a