Skip to main content

Button, Button Whose Got the Button?

     I caved and picked up some new buttons the last time I was at Wally World.  I was going for both washable and cute since all my items needing buttons are for children.  I then had a little button sewing party on my night off.  In no particular order:

I got a whole package of these, flowers are always a good choice for little girls. 
I originally got the daisy buttons for just the Solis Entrechat, but the yellow center looked so good with the browns of Piedras, I just couldn't resist.
Jordan was nice enough to model this for me.  This is Sassafras and its reversible!
So it can be worn as a slouch or a beanie.  I thought the design was ingenious.  It's a nice easy pattern and very pretty.  Christina had admitted that it does occasionally get cold enough for her to wear a hat and having a matching one wouldn't be too dorky.  I got a second button in anticipation that I could get another skein of the MadTosh DK in Hosta Blue.  I went to the open house at the Yarn Cupboard on Sunday with the intention to do three things.  One being to get the yarn for Christina's hat.  Sadly all the Hosta Blue in DK was gone :(  So I got this:
MadTosh DK in Chickory.  I think this is a better color for her anyway.  She's more of a true blue kind of gal.  (I hope she likes it.)  Of course now the button I had line up isn't the right color.  But that's okay.  I have a couple silver buttons that I think will look nice and will play off the gray undertones in this colorway.  I really like this color, so if she really hates it I can keep it for myself. 
     I took Earthen off the blocking board earlier this week.  I'm glad I checked it, the hat was still wet underneath the plate.  I think I should have used a bigger plate, but not bad for my first time out.
The texture actually shows up pretty well in this picture.
That's the inside texture I was rambling on about in my last post.  I think I would put that on the outside if it were me. 

     So I mentioned I had three purposes at the Yarn Cupboard open house.  Number two was needles for the other had that was commissioned from me, which is going well.  It's very high bamboo content and a bit loose and drapey for my liking, but that's what she wanted.  Reason number three is that Jennifer from Holiday Yarns was there with a stockpile of yarn.  I took the shawl I just finished, which is made from Flock Sock to show off.  Shameless self promotion is not beneath me.  I wish I would have had a bit more funds that day.  Jenn had an amazingly bright and fun colorway there, I think it was Unicorn Rainbow or something like that.  It was a neon rainbow and it was awesome.  I think it would work great for colorwork paired with black or another neutral tone.  I cant find a picture of it on Rav, I'm guessing its new.  Anyway, here are some finished and not-on-the-blocking-board-still pictures of the aforementioned shawl:
I also did the measuring and maths.  It took a total of 512 yards.  Before blocking it measured 46 inches across by 15 inches deep.  After blocking:  54 inches across by 19 1/2 deep.  I still need to tally up the beads.  It wasn't that many I don't think.  (At least not compared with the 987 I put in My Cassis.)  At some point here, because I'm insane, I want to break the 1000 mark.  That's pretty much it for truly finished items.  All of these are either gifts or commissions so I'll be having a gift wrapping party with myself here soon.
Until later.  Happy Crafting!
-Q  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 6

I dont have too much to report on the completion front.  I'm working overnights for this contract and I just have no energy.  I tend to stay on my night schedule on my days off and sleep all the rest of the time.  I have been working on some dishcloths.  I pretty much always have a couple going.  I really should have put that on my list of projects for this year.  I've been looking back through past project pages and I'm knitting a few patterns again that I liked knitting the first time.  In the case of the ones I've just done, I've knit these many many times.  The pattern is  Tricolour Dishcloth .  It's in my top 5 dishcloth patterns of all time.  I have the pattern memorized and I enjoy it very much.  It takes three colors and doesnt use much yarn.  It's great for using up small scraps. Its also got a ton of texture, so its very scrubby.  I need to weave in the ends yet but here are the three I did in the last two weeks.