Skip to main content

Shawlomania

     Okay, first off I need to apologize for being a crappy blogger lately.  On the upside, today was my last day shift!  I'm done with training and I start evenings on Monday.  I'm really, really excited to go back to my "normal" shift.  (In case you couldn't tell.)  As I stated in my last post I've been a bit depressed and really tired.  I only was able to complete one project last round for Nerd Wars.  I'm doing better this round.  I just bound off my third project earlier this evening.  Re-cap time.

     The only project I turned in last month was this hat:
The pattern is Whitecaps Hat.  This is the fourth time I've knit this pattern.  I really love it.  It is a purchased pattern.  It is written for three weights of yarn, which is always really nice.  I made it big since the recipient has a nice large noggin.  She also wants a pom-pom put on it.  I still have to do that.  (Yup, here I am a month later, still needing to do that...)  The yarn in MadelineTosh Chunky in the Jasper colorway.  MadTosh is a crack-yarn for a lot of people and I can see why.  The colors are great and the hand is lovely.  I'm still partial to Malabrigo. 

I did work on another project last round, but didn't complete it before the 28th.  It's done now and I've worn it once already. 
The pattern is Dragonfly Wings by Boo Knits.  I used Manos del Uruguay Alegria in the Fondo del Mar colorway.  The lace portion is beaded.  (Not quite as many as the last shawl)  I used some of the beads I got at AC Moore.  Its an interesting pattern.  It has these long shallow wings that sort of hang out.  I think I blocked the shawl too hard and I most certainly blocked it crooked.  I really enjoyed the pattern.  It is both written and charted.  It is very clear and the shawl went quickly once I got to it.  The Manos Alegria is amazing!  Seriously, amazing.  I've already bought myself another skein.  I need to submit this one yet.  It will go into this round's WIP challenge. 
 
I finally came up with a good excuse to buy the pattern Entrechat.  It's well worth the $5. 

It comes in a multitude of sizes and its super quick.  This one is the 6-12 month size.  It used about 162 yards of Malabrigo Rios in Solis.  I foresee making more of these.  The construction is really unique and I didn't trust the pattern.  That's why I have garter stitch where there should be stockinette.  If you don't know it though its hard to see, so overall I am super happy with this one.  I especially love the yellow flower button.  I really hope this fits the intended recipient.  I'll find out tomorrow. 
 
I don't have pictures of the shawl I finished today.  I've made it out of Manos del Uruguay Maxima.  I've also fallen head over heels for this yarn as well.  Its so sproingy its crazy and there is crazy good stitch definition.  The colorway is gorgeous.  Maxima is kettle dyed and just beautiful. 
 
I had the opportunity to do some serious stash enhancement last month.  (There are some benefits to changing jobs sometimes.)  Lets see if I can remember everything.
This was all from Yarn Cupboard:
     Malabrigo Rasta in Solis
     Malabrigo Sock in Terecotta
     Manos del Uruguay Alegria in Macachines
     Zen Yarn Garden Serenity 20 in OOAK
     Holiday Yarns FlockSock in Lavender Buds
     MadelineTosh Sock in Esoteric
     Schoppel-Wolle Zauberball in Stonewashed
     Schoppel-Wolle Lace Ball in Stonewashed
 
I got these in a Ravelry destash.  Malabrigo Sock in Playa and Aguas.  (I don't have a Malabrigo addiction, seriously.)
I've been stalking indie dyes for a while now.  I decided to check out Miss Babs first.  These are both Yummy in the colors Dragon's Flight and Believable. 
This was from WEBS and it has a story.  This is Berroco Ultra Alpaca and I got it on a really great special.  It will however though always be referred to as the infamous bus yarn.  I take the shuttle bus from the lots to the front circle of the hospital.  It stops several times at the other parking lots to pick up more people, so I use this time to check my email and Facebook from my phone.  I got the email from Webs and proceeded to chose the colors and check out in the course of the bus ride.  The shuttle ride is about 5 to 10 minutes.  A co-worker of mine and I were talking later that day, she thinks I have a yarn problem (which I don't) and I happened to mention that I bought yarn on the bus ride.  Now she really thinks I have a yarn problem. (Which I still don't...)  But anyway, this is the infamous bus yarn.  Okay, its Alpaca and I got it for like $5 a skein...  Knitters back me up on this one.
 
I did get one more skein of yarn this month, but its a club yarn and I cant show it off until after May 1st.  Its another indie dyer I've been stalking for a while now. 
 
I called this post shawlomania for two reasons.  The majority of the yarn I just showed you is either fingering or lace weight, which is what is normally used for shawls.  I've been bitten by the shawl bug.  I also made the realization that so far I've made one shawl each month this year.  So I've decided to keep that going and I'm going to make at least 12 shawls in 2014.  I'm thinking Fozen Leaves for next month.  We'll see. 
 
The 5th annual Knit Crochet Blog Week is in May this year.  I will be participating.  The topic and tags are already out.  I'll probably do a separate announcement post for that.  I need to read through the prompts again and make some game plans.  They look pretty interesting.
 
My last bit of news is that I finally got myself a sewing machine!  I even tried making a project bag.  It went better than I thought it would, but I still have some more practicing to do.  I'm having far too much fun with fabric now. 
My top stitching is crooked and I got puckering at the front.  I think I chose the wrong lining fabric.  I also didn't square up my outside fabric properly before I cut it.  That's a no-no.  I think it looks pretty awesome though considering I haven't sewed anything in like 15 years.
Okay this end looks terrible, but it is functional which counts for something, I guess.  That's it for this time folks.  Until later.  Happy Crafting!
-Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...