Skip to main content

In-Between Times

     That title doesn't just refer to Nerd Wars.  I'm between two jobs right now.  I've left Laboratory Alliance, after almost 10 years.  I'll be starting with Upstate Medical University this coming Thursday.  I have a total of five days off, so now I get to mull over all my decisions.  I was really excited for all this, now I'm a bit apprehensive.  I'm leaving behind some truly amazing friends and great colleagues.  I know I'll make new friends and find new mentors at Upstate and I really couldn't turn down the money, its just a really big change.  It feels strange not to be at work today.  My new job is salary and wont allow any overtime.  At this point I'm really, really looking forward to that.  With the recent staffing crisis, we've been scheduled to show up at nearly any time of the day.  They stopped asking a long time ago and I was getting fed up with the attitude of management that 1) our lives should revolve around that place and 2) we should be lucky to be employed.  Don't get me wrong, in this economy, I do feel lucky to be employed, but I don't like to get that thrown in my face and or told we're all replaceable.  I wont rant anymore about that place, its in my past now.  Ultimately this is what I'm taking away from the changes; I'll have more money to buy yarn and more time to knit!

     I haven't been knitting the last few days since T10 will be starting soon.  I was working on a scarf, but the yarn and the pattern aren't working well together.  I'll be going in a different direction with the yarn and picking a different yarn for that pattern.  The yarn is Shibui Knits Silk Cloud, its mohair and silk and its like knitting with a baby kitten.  I was given the book, More Last Minute Knitted Gifts, on my last day and there is a great lace scarf pattern in there.  Or I found a beaded lace scarf pattern last night, either one would be great.  I may just flip a coin.  

     I have pictures of the Madelinetosh Chunky I picked up a few weeks ago:
The colorway is Jasper.  It reminds me of evergreen trees.  I think its going to be a scarf, maybe...   

I did complete a scarf last weekend.  I finally caved and picked up a skein of that ribbon/ruffle yarn.  It knits up fast.  That's the only positive thing I can say about it.  I used Red Heart Boutique Ribbons and made this:
It turned out okay, but I still hate the concept.  It's not really knit because it's not really yarn.  The ribbon in particular isn't even a skein.  It comes folded up and tied together so before beginning it needs to be rolled onto something so it doesn't become a tangled mess.  My batch had a knot in it.  I still haven't figured out how to weave in the ends.  The ribbon snags, the stitches are impossible to pick up if dropped....  basically its horrible in my opinion... but people go bonkers for the stuff... so I made one.  I'm thinking of trying Sashay just to see if it's any less annoying to work with.  I guess there are reasons I don't normally jump on the bandwagon. 

     I did get a few pictures of my grandmother's shawl but they are still on my camera and I'm too lazy to go get it and download them.  I need to weave in the ends and box it up.  I'm hoping to give it to her this weekend.  I'll make sure to take good pictures before doing so.  That's it for right now.  I'm thinking of cranking out a few dishcloths in the next couple days, or starting to write up the pattern for Jack's Knucks.  I need something to do for the next three days, other than watching Star Trek Voyager that is...  Until Later, Happy Crafting! 
-Q

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 12

     I had a fairly busy crafting week.  Procrastination at its finest.  I realized over the weekend I needed to get cracking if I wanted to finish up some gifts for my coworkers.  A bit ago I made a  Cable Me a Pumpkin Hat  for Cara's unborn son. I wanted to make a hat for Bobby's daughter who's about a month old now.  I have a bin of baby acrylic from my early knitting days.  Most of it isn't even entered into my Ravelry stash.  When I was digging through it I found some Bernat Baby Blanket yarn I forgot I even had.  I made a  Poppy  hat for Bobby's daughter. Then I started on two blankets.  I didn't use patterns, just winged it.  I made a corner to corner in boys colors. I had a bit more girly colors so I did a larger one with the girly yarn.  (I was also trying to use up as much yarn as I could.) I did a very simple eyelet border around the edges.  I didn't finish the girly blanket til after I went back to