Skip to main content

Short Update

     I'm limited on time, so I'll do a quick update on what I've been up to.  The short answer is not much.  I finished up a dishcloth order, which is what I had been working on at home.  I couldn't decide which project to start after that so between startitis and work getting in the way...  Not much happening on the home front.  On the upside, I now have everything in place to start one of three projects, I just need to choose and dooo eeeettt.  

     So I mentioned in my last post I'd be picking up something nice for my mother.  That has been done and I have pictures.  I got buttons that day too.  I was going to start that project, but I have some requests in the queue, so to speak, and I figured a scarfette would make a really good Nerd Wars project.  So this one is on the back burner for now.  (Not too far back though since I really want to work with this amazing yarn.)
If I could sum my mother's color tastes up in one skein of yarn, this is it.  (She did pick it after all.)  Pink and green, a cream background and some gray for interest.  She is very simple but classic in her tastes.  I really just want to surprise her with the FO, I think she'll really enjoy it.  I've told her I'm making her something but I didn't give her any details, so shooosh everyone I want to keep it a surprise. 
     As I said, I finished up a dishcloth order.  I made simple Grandma's favorites and one fun one.  (The request was for square dishcloths.)


This pattern is:  Checker Square Garter Dishcloth. It ends up ginormous but pretty nifty looking when done.  The pattern repeat is over 12 stitches, so next time I'm going to do a 38 or 39 stitch cast on. (Cant remember the numbers off the top of my head just now.)  This cloth actually went to a totally different person in the end... which is another story.

     I've been plugging away at the cuffs for my aunt.  I've been working on them only at work, which winds up being 15 to 20 minutes a day.  I did just finish the mohair portion on the first mitt today.  I don't have pictures but they are turning out nicely.  I love the Extrafine Heathers, sooooo soft.  I've also taken some pictures of my stash and did a complete re-organize of the big blue "nice yarn" bin.  It was getting too full.  (Which is a good thing.)  So, I went through my "crappy acrylic" bin and have decided to get rid of some of my first yarns.  RHSS, Caron SS and some monstrosity Patons put out.  Oh, and vile vile Homespun (Lion Brand).  I am keeping all the red and green RHSS and various other red, green and white acrylics for Christmas ornaments and Lion Brand Hometown USA, 'cause that's actually nice acrylic.  At this point I'm also keeping the Fun Fur...  not entirely sure why.  I also have some left overs from my two Jayne Hats.  Love them!  With that other yarn out of the way, I was able to spread out the nice yarns in the large bin.  They are organized roughly by weight again and are only a layer or two deep so I can actually find what I'm looking for!  I also didn't realize that I had acquired as many nice yarns as I do now have.  The battery in my camera died so I haven't gotten around to uploading the pictures yet.  (That's also why the dishcloth picture is a crappy cell phone picture.)  So as I said not much news here, just rambling...  Until later, Happy Crafting.
-Q
 I'll leave you with a pretty picture of buttons.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 12

     I had a fairly busy crafting week.  Procrastination at its finest.  I realized over the weekend I needed to get cracking if I wanted to finish up some gifts for my coworkers.  A bit ago I made a  Cable Me a Pumpkin Hat  for Cara's unborn son. I wanted to make a hat for Bobby's daughter who's about a month old now.  I have a bin of baby acrylic from my early knitting days.  Most of it isn't even entered into my Ravelry stash.  When I was digging through it I found some Bernat Baby Blanket yarn I forgot I even had.  I made a  Poppy  hat for Bobby's daughter. Then I started on two blankets.  I didn't use patterns, just winged it.  I made a corner to corner in boys colors. I had a bit more girly colors so I did a larger one with the girly yarn.  (I was also trying to use up as much yarn as I could.) I did a very simple eyelet border around the edges.  I didn't finish the girly blanket til after I went back to