Skip to main content

Melted the Cube Again and Other News...

     I'm going to be difficult and start with other news.  I finished the mittens!!!!!!  Those poor cursed Baby Llama Hermione Mittens.  I should have informed you all sooner as I finished them back on June 1st but Nerd Wars had just started and I had other things on my mind.  I need to block them yet, once I figure out how to do that, and then get some better pictures.  Here is the photographic proof that they're done.
     The eyelet section just rolls under the stockinette on both sides.  They are quite cute once on, I just cant wear them and get a decent picture at the same time.  I'm just very happy that they're finished and nestled together in my "needs blocking" pile.  I still have nearly a whole skein of the Baby Llama left over to do something fun with too.

     So I've melted the cube again.  My last project was Giving Geeks.  Heres the outline of the challenge:  In many parts of the world, Father’s Day will be celebrated in June or was recently celebrated in May. It is in honor of fathers and all men everywhere that we are challenging you this month to do something to make a positive difference in the life of a man or group of men. We would like to encourage you to think about those men who could REALLY use some kindness. This includes, but is not limited to men in shelters, men dealing with a serious health problem, and men in nursing homes.
We will not accept donations to a friend or family member just because you wanted to make something for one of them. You can craft something for a male friend or family member or do something for one of them IF he is seriously in need of some love from you. We also will not accept a submission made for a male pet or a child.
Giving Geeks challenges are focused on the donation, whether it be an object you have made, your time, or monetary or other resources. Your submission must include proof of your donation (in some form -- examples of acceptable proof are included in Post 3).

My Submission Post
     I made 6 washcloths for Warmth for Warriors.  In the summer months this organization requests washcloths to be sent to our armed forces.  I sent a seventh one with this batch, another blue one, that I made a while ago.  I just sent out the package today before work.  This was quite gratifying and I hope the guys who get these enjoy them as much as I enjoyed making them.      I have reached the halfway point with my dissertation too.  On the 21st I finished my first sock.  I am quite excited.  Turning a heel is way cooler than I thought it would be.  It was tricky, in that, I had to just trust the pattern and do what it said.  I've invisioned in my mind how heels on socks work but I was totally wrong.  I dont have accessable pictures of the finished sock yet.  (I took cell phone pictures...)  I will need to get good pictures next round when we get points for our half way check-in.  Today is the last day of R1.  I'm looking forward to R2, I have a few things I really want to get done.  Currently I'm not knitting as I have a pinched nerve or something in my shoulder, I've actually missed work because of it.  I really hate to live on pain meds but thats what I've had to do all week.  On the upside our mini-vacation is next week, I just have to get through tomorrow.  The upside of not knitting is that I'm almost done with the book I've been reading for the last two years.  (It was the book I was reading when I took up knitting.  I just sort of stopped completly.)  Funny thing actually, it's "A Singular Destiny"  by Keith R A DeCandido and I found a Stargate reference in it.  Its a Star Trek book, I nearly peed myself in the dentists office laughing so hard.  Yes, I got funny looks.  Happy Crafting!
-Q

Rope Stitch Dishcloth
Tricolour Dishcloth
Hermione Mittens

The patterns mentioned for your knitting pleasure!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 6

I dont have too much to report on the completion front.  I'm working overnights for this contract and I just have no energy.  I tend to stay on my night schedule on my days off and sleep all the rest of the time.  I have been working on some dishcloths.  I pretty much always have a couple going.  I really should have put that on my list of projects for this year.  I've been looking back through past project pages and I'm knitting a few patterns again that I liked knitting the first time.  In the case of the ones I've just done, I've knit these many many times.  The pattern is  Tricolour Dishcloth .  It's in my top 5 dishcloth patterns of all time.  I have the pattern memorized and I enjoy it very much.  It takes three colors and doesnt use much yarn.  It's great for using up small scraps. Its also got a ton of texture, so its very scrubby.  I need to weave in the ends yet but here are the three I did in the last two weeks.

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a