Skip to main content

Oops, its November...

My life has been a bit of a zoo.  I've been meaning to post, really I have.  I'm now on evening shift full time.  So I actually have less time to do things.  I miss my weekend boys, but not the strange schedule during the week.  Having a routine is very nice.

I joined Nerd Wars back in October.  I'm playing for Team Enterprise.  That's my big news and why I have had no time at all.  Its been really great and fun.  I haven't completed as many challenges as I had hoped, but I still have obligations outside of this crazy knitting thing.  So back in round one I did:

A potholder for Neelix:

A DNA dishcloth:


aaaannnnddddd:   drum roll please......

My First Ever large garment like project....
A top for Seven of Nine:


I'm still pretty smitten with it.  I made it in two weeks too!  It was great to have some motivation.

Round two started the first of November and thus far I have completed two challenges and am halfway done with a third.

I made a hexagon cloth fit for the Enterprise NCC-1701

I just completed and submitted Nog's calcium oxalate:


This one has a special story behind it, of course.  Being a med tech in real life, I over thought this challenge quite a bit.  Anatomy of a Nerd or whatever.  I had tons of ideas floating around.  I was in urinalysis the night the new challenges were posted.  I then browsed through some patterns and found a blanket square pattern.  It looked so much like cal. ox. I had to run with it.  I started the project without a link back to Star Trek.  So I got out the huge Color Atlas of Urine Sediment and read the 4 or 5 pages on calcium oxalate.  I have to admit this was the first time I ever read about urine crystals with any kind of interest or enthusiasm.  I found the bit about carbonated beverages being a source of oxalate and said out laud ROOT BEER yes.  Nog drinks root beer.  All of my co-workers looked at me goofy at that point.  (They know about the sci-fi thing and NW and just smile and nod when I explain things.)  So I explained the connection and was pretty proud of myself.  Still am if its not obvious.  I think this is how I should learn about everything from now on.  I need to knit it, or an homage to it when I do research.  It actually becomes interesting.

So I'll attempt to keep better written record of all the Nerd Waring from now on.  The other project I've got going is a pair of mittens to go with Hermione's hat back from May.  One is done, I haven't had the motivation to start the left one.  Its my Team Unity Project so its worth more points so for the team at least I should finish.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a

Year of Projects: Week 13

     I've started my "new" job/contract.  I've worked for this company before, just not at this site.  I brought a few projects with me, but I quickly ran out of yarn.  I've been working on a dishtowel.  I'm combining two patterns to make it.  I'm using the premise of  Stay Put Kitchen Towel  with the stitch pattern of  Lizard Ridge Dishcloth .  I, of course, don't have a picture yet of the towel.  I took my book of postcards and colored pencils with me.  I've colored in two of the postcards in between knitting.     When I got home at the end of the week, I had two packages waiting for me.  I received an angel package for one of the swaps I did a few months ago. The cowl and headband are made from handspun yarn.  They are very soft and pretty.  My angel got me a lanyard set perfect for fall.  The black kitty looks alot like Jangles and the flowers are very fall colored.  There's a pair of snippy style scissors.  I love this style of

Year of Projects: Week 33

     I started a pair of socks for myself.  I'm not good about checking gauge for anything.  So very quickly I realized the sock was looking very small.  I decided to keep going and make them for Liara instead.  I had her try it on after I turned the heel and it fit her perfectly.