Skip to main content

Umbra

4⭐️.5🌶
I finished my ARC of Umbra by Catalina Matei last evening.  It was okay.  It is being marketed as book one of a new series.  Now that I've read some other reviews, (I like to go in blind and don't read reviews prior to reading books usually.) This is more like book 4 in a series, which is why I felt so lost at first.  We as readers are dumped into the thick of it twelve months after a pivitol event happens.  Nearly the entire book is told in flash backs to catch us up to where we are.  There is a bunch of info dumping and so much internal monolog.  It wasn't difficult to follow necessarily but it was not a style of storytelling I'm used to that's for sure.  It was difficult to connect with the characters as their grief felt more like whining because we weren't given a chance to connect with them emotionally.  We were constantly being buffeted from the past back to the present.  The bulk of the story was depressing as well.  Yva is literally invisible to those around her.  The only way she can interact with people is when she is in a dream state and can project her image with her magic.  So she's spent the last 12 months taking sleeping postions so she can function in society.  This is taking a horrible toll on her actual physical body and she knows she's at deaths doorstep.  Her lover Samthi is completely distraught because she disappeared without a trace.  She literally became invisible in an instant and had no way to communicate what had happened to her to anyone.  Samthi assumes she left because she didn't love him anymore.  They are both grieving and yearning for eachother.  But also because the story starts twelve months after she becomes invisible and eighteen months after they initially meet, there is no context for this greiving other than the statement I've lost the love of my life.  I enjoyed the writing even if it was repetitive and a bit too much exposition.  Once all the back story finally got fleshed out at the 75% mark the story finally got moving and got extremely intense.  Ultimately the last 25% of the book made up for the first 75% but to be honest the only reason I pushed through was because this was an ARC and I made a conscious effort to finish it.  If it had been a "normal" book I would have DNF around 30%.  I'm very conflicted on this one, mostly it was the pitch.  If the blurb had said this is a spinoff and you really should read the other books first; I would have.  But at the same time would I have hated this book for rehashing three books worth of events in the first three quarters of this one... I don't know.  Ultimately I don't think this really works.  Using flash backs to tell this much of the story was just disorienting and frustrating, it could have been told just as well in two chronological books or as part of the other series.  It was very different and I know there are people looking outside the current "copy and paste" romantasy offerings so this could appeal to that audience.  I think if you know going in you're going to be confused and numb at first, that may help.  The characters were well written, the plot arc came together nicely and the cliffhanger absolutely had me stunned and wanting more.  I do fully intend to read the next book, because I am now emotionally invested in these people.  So make what you will of this very wishy washy review.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 36

     I didn't get any crafting done this week.  I did receive my swap package from the My Favorite Things swap.  Here's what I received: An ample stack of fabric squares.  Most are knitting related, the rest coordinate well.  A book that looks interesting, The Vampire Knitting Club, one of my favorite candies, a skein of Alpaca yarn in a glorious color and cat chair feet.  My daughter commandeered a couple of them already.  I'm going to put a set on the clothes chair in the bedroom.  All in all it was a fun swap.  I also signed up for the Halloween Mini and got my partner assignment.  I've got some ideas brewing for that one.      Since my knitting mojo still hasn't returned despite the change in weather, I picked up a book (kindle) series instead.  About two years ago I read an excellent science fiction romance; The Viridian Priestess.  I know I talked about it.  It was my favorite boo...

YOP: Week 35

    Not much to report this week.  I didn't do much crafting.  I finished the swap, got it packaged up and mailed out.  It should have arrived to my recipient yesterday.  I'll share what I made.  The theme was Favorite Things.  She likes the colors pale yellow and deep dark red and dragons, so I went all out with the dragons.  I chose  Dragon Scale Mitts  for the handmade item.  I used Madeline Tosh Sport in the Tart colorway.   My camera doesn't really do this colorway justice.  It has more depth in real life.  I think they came out nicely though. I was able to find dragon fabric at The Quilt Shop.  I made a reversible project bag. I paired each dragon fabric with one of her favorite colors.  Liara really liked the dragon fabric as well.  I'm probably going to get some more when I go again.  I also sent some stationary items and a bunch of Swedish Fish, which were also things she had req...

YOP: Week 34

     I did some crafting this week, but it was all for the swap.  I was nearly out of interfacing so I ran over to The Quilt Shop in Watertown.  I'd been there once a couple of years ago and thought their prices were very good considering they are independent and Joanne and Hobby Lobby were both in Watertown at the time.  They have really expanded and have a tremendous selection.  They have more novelty type fabrics now, which is what I prefer for my bags, so I will be going there much more often.... probably too much.  I got interfacing and I found two prints that were perfect for my swapee.  I really wasn't expecting to find what I did.  I sewed a bag with those two prints and two of the fabrics I picked up from Walmart.  The Walmart fabric was acceptable.  Not groundbreaking, but decent enough that if I find cute prints I'll probably grab them.  I finished the handknit earlier today.  I want to steam block it yet, ...