Skip to main content

The Empire Eternal Duology

5⭐️🫑
I've gotten behind on my blog posting.  I had some looming ARC deadlines so I ploughed through three books in only a few days.  So first off, Fount and Fortune by Mickey Schoonover.  I received the ARC of the second book.  I read the prologue and about a page of the first chapter and decided I really needed to read book one to know what was going on.  I'm glad I did.  This duology is amazing.  It's an alternative history dystopian set in a Fascist Dictatorship in Florida.  A governor appointed by the Spanish government during colonization of Florida back in ~1516 stumbled on the fountain of youth.  He declared himself the Conquistador and kept control of the Fount.  He used the healing abilities of the water to become immortal basically.  Florida became the Empire Eternal and the book takes place more or less in present day 565 years later.  The FMC, Evangeline, is a farm worker who lives and works on the Conq's personal farm El Jardin.  Her family have been the foreman of the farm for generations.  The MMC, Rafe, has a backstory that unfolds rather slowly.  He and his best friend Twain help people by fabricating new identities for them.  The Citadel, the capitol of the Empire, and the Empire itself works on a strictly enforced class system.  You must have money and stature to be of any importance here.  Rafe and Twain help people get into the Citadel in the first place or move up in society.  Evan has a younger sister, Juniper who gets diagnosed with cancer.  They lost their mother in a farm accident not quite 2 years prior so Evan refuses to loose another family member.  She comes up with a crazy plan to sneak out of the farm, travel through the super dangerous Wildlands and get to the Citadel where she'll auction herself into indentured servitude at the Obligor Expo.  With the money she earns selling herself at the Expo she can buy her sister an Immersion in the Fount.  Rafe is the one who buys her by outbidding a scumbag they helped get into the Citadel as a favor.  Rafe knows said scumbag wouldn't treat her well and feels responsible because they made this man essentially.  Rafe has no need of a servant and is super private so is also uncomfortable having another person in his home and his and Twain's enterprise isn't exactly legal, so he's worried if he can trust her.  She is wary about trusting him.  She's also under a time limit because of Juni's cancer.  She eventually tells him why she's there.  What she didn't realize is that one, her work contract would never pay for an Immersion and even if she could get enough money, they'd never allow someone like Juni near the Fount.  Lowly farm workers from El Jardin are not worthy enough.  (Laborers and other low level people fell into this as well.)  She refuses to give up though and Rafe comes up with a plan.  I don't want to get into too much here but part of this is getting back to El Jardin and convincing their father to let her go with them to the Citadel.  Circumstances of the Wildlands slow them down.  There are more factions and powers at play here but I don't want to give away too much of the plot.  Rafe and Evan make it back to El Jardin, get Juni and then get back to the Citadel.  At the end of book one Rafe and Juni get separated from Evan.

5⭐️1🌶
Evan is captured and tossed in jail.  Rafe and Juni are able to escape.  So this book openes up with Rafe needing to get Juni back to El Jardin to her father, so he can then get back to Evan and try to rescue her.  Also I should mention that sparks of revolution are seeded in book one.  Remember those other factions I mentioned previously.  Those threads all come together in book two.  Rafe develops quite a few relationships with key people in book one.  All of these converge in book two.  Evan gets pulled out of prison by the Conq to become one of his personal servants.  So she's in the most dangerous position possible mostly to pull Rafe out of the woodwork.  
I wish I could say more but again I don't want to give too much away.  This duology was excellent.  The first book is only a little steamy, the second book only has one mildly spicy scene in the epilogue.  They were both so well written.  All the side characters have great depth, there is humor and lots of yearning in the second book.  I really enjoyed this duology and I love that its now completed.  Check them out!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 35

    Not much to report this week.  I didn't do much crafting.  I finished the swap, got it packaged up and mailed out.  It should have arrived to my recipient yesterday.  I'll share what I made.  The theme was Favorite Things.  She likes the colors pale yellow and deep dark red and dragons, so I went all out with the dragons.  I chose  Dragon Scale Mitts  for the handmade item.  I used Madeline Tosh Sport in the Tart colorway.   My camera doesn't really do this colorway justice.  It has more depth in real life.  I think they came out nicely though. I was able to find dragon fabric at The Quilt Shop.  I made a reversible project bag. I paired each dragon fabric with one of her favorite colors.  Liara really liked the dragon fabric as well.  I'm probably going to get some more when I go again.  I also sent some stationary items and a bunch of Swedish Fish, which were also things she had req...