Skip to main content

YOP: Week 41

    Let's see, what have I done this week?  I finally moved all the totes of china out of the hallway and living room.  I made sure a couple of the totes were secure enough and then re-packed two.  The one tote had fallen when a couple of the cats knocked into it.  Several dinner plates broke along with a bread plate and a couple saucers.  I was quite disappointed by the dinner plates breaking as those are arguably the most important part of the set.  But it was quite a large set to begin with so I still have service for six.  The other tote I repacked is the partial set I retrieved from my grandmother's estate.  I don't know much about the set other than no one else in the family wanted it and my aunt had already claimed some of the larger pieces from it.  I did some rudimentary research on it yesterday from the back stamp.  It's a Howard Laughlin print called Virginia Rose and the vast majority of it was manufactured in 1948.  So my guess is this was her wedding china.  So I've managed to inherit both of my grandmother's wedding sets.  

I didn't even think to take an inventory until just now.  There are a good amount of dinner plates, bread or dessert plates, tea cups and saucers and then a really good amount of small bowls.  The other "set" I retrieved is a set of glass luncheon plates and matching glasses.  I have the apple pattern and the wheat pattern.  I've wanted a set of these for ages.  
I yanked this picture from Etsy because I never think to take pictures of these things.  These are a nice heavy weight glass and can be put through the dishwasher.  I should find myself some more.  I know they're pretty easy to find on eBay and Etsy.  Pretty much everyone had a set of them in the 50s.  

    Once my husband got all the totes of china out to our storage shelf in the garage we were able to move the newly refinished bench into the "entryway".  I got a storage bench from grandma's estate that needed either painting or staining as it had quite a lot of water damage.  My husband tackled the sanding and staining part earlier in the week.  He has discovered he hates staining and wont be attempting that part again.  So, I'll be learning how to stain to do the rest of the furniture restoration we have planned.  (That's fine with me, I've been wanted to learn how to do this anyway.)
It's a bit uneven in the front there, but I think it turned out quite nicely for his first ever foray into refinishing.  The new fancy snow-blower is in this picture too.  It looks better now that its been sitting a few days too.  We've already filled it with winter accessories and tossed a pile of stuff on it.

    We'll be having work done to our heating system this week.  The temps cooled off last week and when my husband went to check on our boiler it was giving him error codes.  It has been giving us various issues since we bought the house three years ago, so we knew we'd probably have to replace it soon.  Well that time has come, so that will be our adventure this week.

    I've been slowly making progress on my MKAL, I've gotten behind a little because school is my priority but I should be catching up later today.  The beads come into play very soon, so I'm excited.  Alrighty back to all the work I need to get done.  I have another big unit project for the communications class that I need to work on in addition to the weekly reading and work.  Ugh, the end of December can't get here fast enough.  Alrighty back to it.

I don't think my link to the ball winder I got worked last week so here is a picture:

 and a link: Amazon
    
   

Comments

  1. Beautiful china. I have my grandmothers too. Sadly I only pull it out at Thanksgiving but on the other hand I hate hand washing dishes. Love the bench too. What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely China. A true keepsake. The bench turned our great. I assume it has storage in it too? Thanks for the link to the ball winder.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day One

Day One (Monday 11th May): If You Were Yarn. If you were a type or brand of yarn, which would you be? Are you a classic pure wool? Is there extra tension but a bit of bounce in you because of your high twist? Would you be more like a high-maintenance, strictly hand-wash fluffy angora or a ‘bring it on’ acrylic, bravely heading into the world of possible baby-sick laundering disasters knowing that you will always come out bright and unharmed?      If I had been asked this question back in January of 2014 I think my answer would be very different from the one I'm about to give today.  Since that time I have started my second new job and have moved my entire household to a smaller city.  Granted the move was what I wanted, but there has been a transition period for me after leaving everything I'd known and become accustomed to behind after 12 years.  I've made new friends twice, gotten used to different policies and procedures twice.  This second transition has been a bit

Year of Projects: Week 45

    No post last week as we were all down with a nasty stomach bug.  I finally started feeling better on Friday.  I didn't get very much done because of it.  I didn't even get out of bed last Sunday.  I was able to finish the  Sunset Hat .   I think it turned out nicely.  I was worried the Glitter and the Sunset colorways would be too similar, which is why I put the English Rose in between them, but I think the combo works pretty well.  I finished up one more dish cloth; another Star Fish type so I won't post another identical picture.  I've made one more dishcloth since the Nerdopolis tournament ended on the 30th.  We're in a break month now.  I had hoped to get a few rows done on my Holden shawl, but that didn't happen.  I'm going to try to get it done this month.     There is a fiber festival in June, the CNY Fiber Fest, so I'm starting to plan for that.  I went last year and it was very fun.  I've perused the vendor list already.  Many of the one

Year of Projects: Week 11

    I'm actually updating on a Sunday for once!  I don't have too much to update, so it'll be short and sweet.  I had mentioned that I washed and blocked the Drops of Spring Mitts.  I got them off the blockers and took a couple decent pictures outside in good light.  So here they are all finished. I used the smallest size of the three blockers.  The middle size stretched the fabric too much.  Blocking really evened these out and even though I didn't toss these in the dryer to spring the super-wash Mal Rios back into shape it sproinged back all on its own.                        I need to weigh these yet so I can figure out approximate yardage used, but my guess is its not really much of either of the three colors.  I hope to do at least one more pair of these.  I have so many little mini left-over skeins, its a great pattern to get those used up.     I made homemade pizza on Wednesday.  I use  this  recipe in my bread machine for the dough.  It calls for a teaspoon of a