Skip to main content

Smoke, Mirrors and Misdemeanors

6⭐️2🌶
I've gotten exceedingly behind in my blog posting.  I had to rapid fire read several of these books to make the publication deadline so everything else went by the wayside.  Smoke, Mirrors and Misdemeanors was exceptional though and a cozy joy to read.  The MMC, Ark, is a total green flag.  Reserved, quiet, private but fiercely loyal to the scant few people he's let into his inner circle over the years.  He falls first for the FMC and falls hard.  Cassia is a Kitchen Witch, which in this realm puts her pretty low on the totem pole.  She's also the mixed daughter of two orphans, so she doesn't have a family name with clout either to help her out.  She's the caretaker of an orphanage.  One that cares for mixed blood children.  It is the orphanage her parents called home and where they met.  Cassia is a baker and owns The Witching Flour.  The profits from the bakery are what keeps the orphanage afloat.  A demon businessman has bought the property the orphanage sits on and is evicting the children.  Cassia is trying to fight it with every recourse she has.  In a last ditch effort to sway the "bad guy" she goes in person to the gentleman's club he attends.  This guy refuses her but Ark is there, witnesses the exchange and then convinces Cassia to talk with him.  He makes a deal with her; in exchange for trying to save the orphanage she just has to be his fake fiancé for the holiday season.  Ark has an overbearing matchmaking mother.  He wants to get through all his social obligations as unscathed as possible.  The rouse only needs to last about two weeks.  You can probably guess where this leads.  As they spend time together working on the mutual problems, they start getting to know eachother and the faked feelings start feeling real.  There is conflict and tension but everything gets resolved pretty easily.  This does not end on a cliffhanger and there is some really nice emotional stuff that happens that I wasn't expecting.  This was sweet, full of amazing found family, strong characters, Enola's on brand vivid world building and prose.  I loved it and am looking forward to more books in the series.  The author has said that after book two, the subsequent books will focus on different side characters.  I loved both Cassia's little circle and Ark's so I think this will be a fun series.  This is the perfect book for this time of year and today is release day so go check it out!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 34

     I did some crafting this week, but it was all for the swap.  I was nearly out of interfacing so I ran over to The Quilt Shop in Watertown.  I'd been there once a couple of years ago and thought their prices were very good considering they are independent and Joanne and Hobby Lobby were both in Watertown at the time.  They have really expanded and have a tremendous selection.  They have more novelty type fabrics now, which is what I prefer for my bags, so I will be going there much more often.... probably too much.  I got interfacing and I found two prints that were perfect for my swapee.  I really wasn't expecting to find what I did.  I sewed a bag with those two prints and two of the fabrics I picked up from Walmart.  The Walmart fabric was acceptable.  Not groundbreaking, but decent enough that if I find cute prints I'll probably grab them.  I finished the handknit earlier today.  I want to steam block it yet, ...