Skip to main content

Knit and Crochet Blog Week Day 6

Day Six:  A Tool To Covet Write about your favorite knitting or crochet (or spinning, etc) tool. It can either be a tool directly involved in your craft (knitting needles or crochet hook) or something that makes your craft more pleasurable – be it a special lamp, or stitch markers.

Is it an item that you would recommend to others, and if so for which applications/tasks do you think it is most suited. Conversely, do you have a tool/accessory that you regret buying? Why does it not work for you?


     If I look at everything I've either been given or purchased myself, I think I have to choose my swift and ball winder as the most valuable tools.  I use them quite often, even more now that I've become a yarn snob and I plan to use the more since I started dying yarn and have aspirations to spin.  These both will involve hanks which will then need to be caked before knitting can commence.  The usefulness is not the only attribute here, the swift is an Amish style swift made of a very pretty hard wood by Chiaogoo. 

So for me its also beautiful to look at.  It is modular, so I can take it apart and put it away, so it takes up very little room at all.  (Which is also great since I have a limited craft space.)  I would highly recommend this swift.  It was inexpensive, its totally collapsible, easy to use and pretty.  After the swift and ball winder I think my next most used tool, which I don't have enough of, of course, is the Boye row counter. 

I got two of them when I first started knitting.  (They came in a "beginners" tool ensemble with some tip protectors and three sizes of stitch holders.)  I use it for my bigger projects when I have to count rows or large numbered repeats.  Its with my dissertation sweater now.  I need to find some more, they are so handy.  I was recently gifted some beaded stitch markers which prompted me to get the supplies to make some of my own.  I use stitch markers like they're going out of style.  If I have a lace pattern, a lot of times I'll place a marker after each repeat.  It saves so much time not having to fix mistakes since I'm checking my count after every repeat.  So far, I cant say there is a tool I don't use or like.  I have found that my wrists and hands don't cramp up as much if I knit flat on circular needles.  (I found that out by accident.  My straights wouldn't fit in my project bag so I made whatever it was on a circ.)  Eventually I may get rid of a lot of my straight needles.  Most of the patterns I knit are in the round so I'm using either circs. or DPNs.  The projects I do knit flat tend to be larger things that require the length of a circular needle.  I still like my short little lucky 6s for dishcloths though.  Incase you didn't see pictures of my first foray into stitch marker making here are the ones that turned out halfway decent:

Happy Crafting!
-Q     

Comments

  1. Your markers are lovely. I love making markers. Need to get some more supplies, or new beads. I am kind of burned out on the beads I have lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 34

     I did some crafting this week, but it was all for the swap.  I was nearly out of interfacing so I ran over to The Quilt Shop in Watertown.  I'd been there once a couple of years ago and thought their prices were very good considering they are independent and Joanne and Hobby Lobby were both in Watertown at the time.  They have really expanded and have a tremendous selection.  They have more novelty type fabrics now, which is what I prefer for my bags, so I will be going there much more often.... probably too much.  I got interfacing and I found two prints that were perfect for my swapee.  I really wasn't expecting to find what I did.  I sewed a bag with those two prints and two of the fabrics I picked up from Walmart.  The Walmart fabric was acceptable.  Not groundbreaking, but decent enough that if I find cute prints I'll probably grab them.  I finished the handknit earlier today.  I want to steam block it yet, ...