Skip to main content

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day Six

Skill set
     I've been knitting as an adult for about two years now.  I've come a long way since those first few projects.  I've learned many techniques, but I still have a long way to go.  I find that I work myself up too much before I try something new.  I always find the new technique easier than I think its going to be.  Knitting in the round made no sense to me.  Then I got the correct length needles.  I couldn't even spell Kitchener Stitch, now I've got it memorized.  I waited forever before I tried cables.  Cables rock!  I "don't" crochet.  I just finished a project that was a third crochet.  (More on that later)  The only thing I've tried and miserably failed at was double knitting.  When I say failed, I mean my finished project looks like crap.  I did, however, finish, and I now know what I'm doing.  So I guess that's not a failure.  So, to make things easier for all of us here's a list of the things I want to learn/master.
-Double Knitting
-Socks!  (There is a deadline on this one 12/21/12, its a long story and it involves the Zombie Apocalypse)
-Felting
-Color work, stranded knitting and I think its called Swiss Darning, where you follow over existing stitches with a different color.
-Real lace knitting, shawls or wraps with small needles (I have a small needle phobia)
-Knitted Ami, not sure if my little Red Blood Cell counts.
-Sweaters, I tend to do smaller projects so I want to do some more time consuming ones.
-Crochet, I was intending to keep focusing on knitting but I found out I do enjoy crochet.
-Finishing, its what makes an item look handmade not homemade, as they say.
-Traveling cables, the Celtic ones

     The list could go on, and of course it does.  My queue on Ravlery is getting longer and longer.  I have given up on keeping it short.  I have many years ahead of me to make everything I want to twice.  So more on the crochet.  I learned Half Double Crochet (HDC) and the Puff stitch.  I think my puff stitches were too small.  I was using a two ply baby llama (you know the one if you've read my blog before), its very splitty for crochet.  I kept grabbing only one of the plys with my hook, or bringing parts of another stitch with me.  So when I do this pattern again, I'll use a four ply.  The pattern was Elf Clobber (link at bottom).  The pattern was a bit vague for my liking but with the help of YouTube I muddled through.  The second cuff looks better because I had figured out what I was supposed to be doing in the crochet part.  It still isn't correct, since I crocheted through all the back loops (yarn splitty problem).  But, I really like them.  I used Queensland Collection Soft Mohair for the purple knitted section.  I checked today.  I got that yarn more than a year ago, April 11 2011.  I love it!  I'm really glad I used it for these.  I was going to use both skeins for a scarf, but these cuffs used up really close to half of one skein.  They are much smaller than I thought they were.

     I got some really good pictures today.  Who would have thought that natural day light makes that big of a difference.  This is a bit off topic but I posted three challenges for Nerd Wars today.  The RBC and the IgG Antibodies were for the Noob challenge.  I've showed you those.  I also posted these Elf Cobbler cuffs for the Follow the Leader challenge. I also posted Bella's Mittens.

The cable on Bella's Mittens was a new one for me.  It really stands out, its why I made them in the first place.  These were super fun to do.  I think they'll be pretty warm too.  I used them for the Battle of the Bards challenge.
  That one shows the cable off a little better.  There is very little time left here in April, so I'm not going to be melting the cube.  I'm really hoping to get one more project done before Monday.  Wish me luck. 
I also got kind of an artsy pic today, I think its really cool.  Happy crafting!
-Q


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...