Skip to main content

Knit Crochet Blog Week Day One

     Color is today's topic.  For me color is probably the most important thing.  Followed by fibre then price, wash ability/practicality and last of course project allocation.  Of course if I actually have a project picked and I'm getting yarn for it, the order is somewhat different.  Color is still first, then fibre and price.  I find, if I'm making a project that is a duplication of a knit item from a movie for example, I like to stay true to the original color.  Take my two Hermione projects, the hat and the poor cursed mittens that still aren't done.  I stuck to the original light gray.  For Bella's Mittens, I went with my all time favorite color, blue, and I have to admit, I'm not feeling the color.  That may have to do with the acrylicness of the yarn.  (Which actually makes them a good sell item.)  Since I am enjoying the knitting, I may get myself some nice dark gray alpaca and knit them again for me.


     So back to color in general.  I like almost all colors, except red.  Bright red that is, I do like darker, maroon or maple red, if you will.  Not sure where my aversion to red came from but there it is.  I tend to buy yarns that are on the darker end of the spectrum, greens, blues and purples.  But, I do enjoy yellow and orange for happy summer items and of course dishcloths.  For me, dishcloths should be obnoxious, they're dishcloths!  This applies to pot holders and trivets as well.  Cleaning is a chore, and cooking falls in that category sometimes too, so bright happy colors in my kitchen are a must.  As far as garments are concerned I usually go for more subdued tones, and solids for the most part.  Scarves tend to be the exception and mittens too.  My favorite ever scarf is the Dragon Stitch Scarf.  I don't wear it often since its Noro and a tad scratchy, but I love it and will always keep it around.  
I love the colors in this scarf.  I think my favorite transition is that golden yellow into the lavender.  It makes me think of my Mom's bearded irises.  When I was back home, with a yard, I did alot of gardening.  Flowers always played an important role in my life.  Its one of the things I miss the most, and therefore one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to getting a house someday.  The second is having rabbits again, but that's a whole different subject.


     I have noticed, that since I took up knitting twoish years ago, I have been migrating toward purples more and more.  I'm not sure why, I have always liked purple, but now its starting to overpower my love of blue.  Well, thats it for me.  Happy crafting.
-Q           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...