Skip to main content

YOP: Week 20

    Since I couldn't decide weather to continue Get A Shift On with yarn I have or buy different colors I set it aside this week.  Instead, I started a pair of socks.  I've been looking to try some different techniques, so I chose an ankle style with a heel tab and a short-row heel.  Bonus; it's a free pattern: Shorty Heel Tab Socks  I tried on the sock last evening and it's fitting quite well.  I did a stretchy cast on then knit the cast on together with the active stitches when it came time, the pattern gave directions for this and also suggested a provisional cast on as an alternative.  I have a ridge of cast on stitches on the inside of the cuff; I was a little afraid this would feel uncomfortable.  I didn't even notice that ridge when I tried it on.  (Granted, I just tried on the sock in progress, so it may feel very different when I actually wear them.)  The seaming of that folded cuff, however, was pain to knit so I may do the provisional cast-on just to make that step a little easier on the second sock.  The insides won't match if I do that, but I really don't think that will matter to me in the long run.  Here is the sock so far.  
I'm using the ONline Linie 3 Supersocke that I frogged from another shorty sock that didn't fit me correctly at all.  I'm getting some really good German Short Row practice with this socks.

    I harvested some rhubarb from my new rhubarb patch yesterday and made some rhubarb shortbread bars.  They turned out pretty darn good, I have to say, and the recipe came together quite easily.  I used this one: Rhubarb Bars.  In case anyone is worried about me harvesting rhubarb already, I simply moved mature plants from pots into a bed without disturbing or separating the plants.  Some of my lettuce has sprouted which is exciting.  The tomatoes are still alive in the topsy turveys.  I saw a blossom on one plant.  I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.  My husband is in the garage now sanding the boards that will become the raised bed for the strawberries.  That's about it for me.  Nothing too exciting happening here other than, hopefully, more garden growth.

-Q  

Comments

  1. I miss rhubarb - it really does not grow here and sometimes you can find it in the grocery but it is a rare event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your successful gardening. Love the socks. So funny, I was just thinking about knitting a pair of socks with the heel tab. I need to check out the pattern. I love that my Bomba socks have heel tabs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It amazes me that people don’t feel all the lumps and bumps and lace sections of the fancy socks everyone seems to knit, so I am sure your cuff will still feel fine when finished. I like socks to be mindless so never switch up the pattern I do. I love a German short row, so effective and neat. Your rhubarb sounds good, ours isn’t ready yet and some of the plants are new so I’ll only take a few stalks to not stress them out too much. Love rhubarb crumble yum….or stewed rhubarb and ginger layered with cream and broken ginger biscuits (cookies). Yum. Liz (Highlandheffalump)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...