Skip to main content

February FOs and Mad Geek Tour Club Yarn

     So I've been at my new job for a little over a month.  Its going well.  Moving to a smaller city and working at a smaller hospital was all part of our master plan.  I'm training in Blood Bank right now, the next department will be chemistry in another week or two.  I'm looking forward to working on the Vistas again.  Its been about a year now since I've done chemistry so I'm really looking forward to it.  Alright back to more exciting things like knitting and yarn!
     Back around Christmas time, before I knew I'd be moving, I joined the Mad Geek Tour for January, February and March with the theme being "Where No Color Has Gone Before".  I've gotten two of the three installments: 
This is Doomsday Machine on Doolally.  I love the blues and purples.  That was January.
This is Resistance is Futile on Stalwart.  The grays with the pop of green is absolutely perfect.  I've had a fingerless mitt pattern in my queue forever that is based on Seven of Nine's Borg hands.  I'm thinking this my finally be the impetus to get those knit up.  I'm really looking forward to the final March installment which will include a Jesselu bag.  Since moving to Watertown this is the only yarn acquisition I've done.  There are no LYSs up here at least close.  I'm going to have to plan some trips to either Syracuse or up north farther. 
     I have gotten some knitting done, mostly some smaller projects as my yarn is still mostly inaccessible along with my tools.  I think most of my books are going over into storage so the spare bedroom will get cleared out a little bit and then my yarn totes wont be in one huge towering pile.  I still have nothing on which to set up my ball winder.  The adjustable thingy only opens so wide and all my tables are really thick.  I think I'm going to just attach it to a stool and figure it out from there.  So the sort version is, I've been knitting from yarn that was already wound either by me or a factory.  Having Nerdopolis has giving me a bit of motivation and I actually made three submissions last month. 

Since Nerdopolis is carrying on the Nerd Wars tradition I felt it necessary to do a crocheted pot holder for old time sake.  This one went to my husbands aunt who admired the ones I made.  I also made her a dishcloth.
The Starfish pattern is one of my favorites.  Its quick, simple and easy to memorize.  Its a good sized cloth too.
Since I was practically blackmailed into making something for my uncle Wesley I decided to take my own spin on it.  He asked me to make him some mittens.  He didn't say what size (or kind) so I made him a felted oven mitt.
I used a bunch of the small bits of wool I dyed myself with Kool-Aid.  I think I still have enough left to make a second one.  But I'm thinking I shouldn't actually make a pair of mittens.  At the very least the pair wont match. 
 
     Yesterday was Pi day.  It snuck up on me so I whipped up a dishcloth yesterday for one of the challenges.
I used one of my favorite go to dishcloth patterns and my absolute favorite colorway of the old Elmore Pisgah Peaches and Cream, Winterberry.
 
     I finished a bib today, but its gotten too dark to take pictures today.  I used a new pattern, which is interesting and hopefully lives up to its name of being a stay on bib.  That's pretty much all I've gotten done for last month.
 
     The dates for this year's Knit Crochet Blog Week have been announced.  I'll be doing that in May.  More on that next time.  Until later.
Happy Crafting!
-Q         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...