Skip to main content

Progress and a Cold

     There is a cold working its way through the members of our household, yes all two of us.  It took a few days for me to catch it, I thought I was in the clear, then my throat started burning Wednesday evening.  I pulled through the week, but I back out of working tomorrow night shift.  (The fever and cold sweats are supposed to be hitting me about then, if I stay "on schedule.)  Okay enough icky talk of being sick.  I've completed some more items!

     I finished the scarf for my Mother.  Turns out I didn't need the buttons since its adequately long.  The pattern called for 200 yards, but 200 yards gives one a whole scarf.  I used the pattern Another Scarflet!, which is no longer available.  I downloaded the pdf to my computer when I first found the pattern.  It's written out a bit on the vague side and I missed some of the directions.  It also claims that only two repeats of the lace patterned rows will yield a scaflet.  Unless my gauge was really really off this wasn't true for me or the other people who made the scarf.  I'm overall pretty pleased with the outcome though. 
I used Madelinetosh Pashmina in the colorway Foxglove.  This is the yarn Mom "picked" out.  I showed you all while it was still in the skein.  It looks so different knit up.  I did have to block this and it wound up pretty wide.  I think that will be a good thing though since this yarn is so soft and drapy, its going to scrunch around the neck.  I think it will be long enough for her to wrap around once.  We'll find out when I present it to her.  I really hope she likes it.  I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about this one.  Other than dishcloths I've never made her anything really nice, so I hope this falls under the really nice category.

     On to my next project.  I've made another Whitecaps Hat.  One of my cousins saw the first one on Facebook and asked if I would make one for her too.  I still had over half the skein of Caron Simply Soft, so I said yes.  I think I could get one more hat out of that skein, so if anyone else wants one, let me know.  I love this pattern!
It looks exactly like the other one, I know, same yarn and pattern will do that.  I used this hat along with the baby hat to fulfill the Flexible Schedule challenge. I used the aforementioned scarf for the Nerd's Dream Date challenge.  For that one, we needed to take a character from a different nerdery out on a date choosing one of his/her favorite foods.  I took Kaylee, from Firefly, out for strawberries.  I thought the pink and green in the colorway resembled berries and leaves.  I used this scarf as my Team Unity Project as well.  This round we are honoring the "spear carriers" of Stargate.  I chose Katie Brown the botanist from Atlantis.  Since the colorway of the Pashmina is Foxglove, which is a flower, I thought immediately of Katie.  So this scarf was a gift from Rodney to Katie. 

     I have only one more challenge to craft for, but since I'm running out of February I thought I should start my Dissertation.  This tournament I'm making a sweater again.  This time though I'm combining two different patterns and making modifications to the parts I am using from the second pattern.  I'm making Cables and Garter Cardi.  Since this pattern only comes in one size I'm using the yoke from February Lady Sweater which has sizing.  I'll be going into more detail of my modifications of the cable portions once I get to them.  I'm going to be changing the cables in the sweater, but I'm following cables done by another Raveler.  The original chart for the cardi only showed right side rows, so I'm hoping to make charts of my own with both sides and the new cables.  I just need to learn how to use Excel.  I've found some tutorials on the web, I just need to go read them.  Until later, Happy Crafting! 
-Q 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

YOP: Week 29

    The fair was a success.  My items did well and Liara got some ribbons as well.  We went to the parade on Tuesday, then down to the grounds once it was over.  We stopped by one local vender to grab some jewelry, grabbed some donuts from the Donut Diner then went to see how we placed.  Liara entered earrings that she hand-made with clay.  They did not place.  She entered a beaded bracelet that got first. She also entered three of her drawings.  A Pegasus, a bunny and a magical worm.  The bunny and the worm received third and the Pegasus received second.   The bunny is my personal favorite of all the drawings she's done.  There is always a really good turn out in the drawing and photography categories, so she was up against some stiff competition.  I'm really happy she received some ribbons. My items are as follows: Rotini Beanie; First Enchantress MKAL; First. Sunburst Potholder; Second.  Cow and Hen Dishcloth set; ...

YOP: Week 30

      I didn't have a very eventful crafting week.  My time was limited and I think the weather is affecting my knitting mojo.  I had to work last weekend so my husband picked up the items from the fair along with the help of our daughter.  It looks as though she was supposed to get a first place ribbon for her earrings but they forgot to attach the ribbon, or it was attached and fell off.  I'll get an official notification in the mail with our winnings in a few weeks.       My garden was looking really good, the peppers and carrots had almost completely regrown.  I made the comment to myself Saturday evening when I was watering everything that "oh wow its all looking really good."  My parents came over for lunch Sunday so I took my mom over to see the garden.  We've been busy so they haven't been over since we put in the raised beds.  Well, the joke was on me.  The deer or whatever it is came back and decim...

YOP: Week 31

    I finished the tote bag for my co-worker.  It turned out awesome.  I seriously thought about giving her the original one I made for myself and keeping this second one.   I had shown Nancy a selection of fabrics and let her pick which ones she wanted with the alpaca print.  I think her combo came out so nicely.  I finished everything up late in the evening, so the pictures are dark.  I also neglected to take a nice closeup of my fancy new tags.  I have two or three more bags planned out to do in the next couple weeks so hopefully I'll get a little better pictures. I finished the dishcloth I was working on yesterday and started another.   Revenge of Dish Rag Lizard Ridge I'm changing colors for each short row section.  I'm going for a rainbow.  I need to find more black for the ridges in between.      I have another project I should really be doing instead.  I need to dig around and find the yarn...